Why use RO/DI Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waynotcars

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
Maybe I used wrong forum for this question but it looked like the best place. My 220 was always a FOWLER and I always just used conditioned tap water and never had any problems. Now I am converting it to reef (hopefully). My question is: I know nothing about RO water and the units used to make it. If you guys could tell me WHY I would need to use it, how to make it, and what are the advantages & disadvantages, I appreciate it. Is it a NECESSITY for reef?

My tank has following equipment & livestock: Remora Pro Urchin skimmer, Aquariapure Denitrator, DIY Turf Algae Filter, 55 gal AGA sump, divided into fuge with live rock, cheato, etc., 300 watts metal halide and 250 watts T-5, acitinic and daylight, wavemaker system (closed loop). I have 11 fish: 3 clowns, 3 gobies, small naso tang, firefish, yellowtail damsel, 1 green Chromis, Bi-Pseudo, Mexican Turbo Snails, Coral Banded Shrimp, Long spined Urchin & Hermit Crab.

Like building a house you need to start with a strong foundation, the same goes when setting up a SW tank. The foundation is your water. SW animals do not react well to metals and other things that are in tap water. Using a RO/DI system to get pure water is the best possible way to set up your tank. This way you know there is nothing in your water that could cause problems down the road.

Check on Ebay for RO/DI you should be able to get a 5-6 stage filter for around $100. Also you will want to get a refractometer to measure you salinity.

-The only disadvantage to a RO/DI unit is they produce water slowly, 75-150 gallons per day. Aside from that I see no disadvantage.

BTW, the investments you are going to make in livestock, corals, fish, inverts and even your LR are going to be far higher than your RO/DI unit and having the unit will remove one variable in their survival.

I work for a large water municipality and I know from what goes in there is not good for our reef tanks. Things like Silicates and phosphates and nitrates and chlorine and flouride and many other unwanted compounds. Good for us humans but not for our reef tanks.

Agreed with above, but more then anything else for me, its the cut back in algae that really makes it worth it.

Back
Top Bottom