Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2004, 07:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why would I need to add calcium?

I have a 75FOWLR. Why would I need to add calcium?

Old 12-01-2004, 07:52 PM   #2
steve-s

For a 75 gal FOWLR, you most likely will never need it. Depends on the coralline growth you get if any but primarily scleractinians are going to be your largest/main consumers. Without them, water changes should keep up just fine depending on the salt mix.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-01-2004, 07:56 PM   #3

Just for corraline growth. Just do regular water changes as mentioned above and you will be fine with out it.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

My tank drops approximately 60 units a day (on a salifert test) with 120 IOWLR right now (tail end of a cycle with no fish). I'm interested in promoting the coraline growth so have been watching the numbers and dosing with calcium (and alk to keep them together) as it gets used up. I'm very surprised at how much I go through a day.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:40 PM   #5
steve-s

Cycling is havoc on the chemistry for the most part so I would suggest you look more to the depletion rate afterwards. What goes on during the cycle will lead you awry. Alkalinity will yo-yo dramaticly as will the pH so if you are constantly adding buffer it will force down the Ca levels chemically depending on Mg and not as a result of animals depositing CaCO3. A 60 ppm daily draw without scleractinians or heavy coralline growth doesn't add up.

Are you cycling with base rock or LR?

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-01-2004, 11:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's 85# of base in the tank, 60# of LR (30GR & 30KR from LR.com) There are a bunch of clams that came aboard the rock. I'm at the tail end of my cycle. Ammo has been 0 for weeks now. My nitrites are just about to zero (also for weeks now) and my trates are around 5 or 10 (climbed up a week or so ago but have been holding fairly steady). The PH and Alk don't change dramatically. My PH is a little on the low side (?) at around 8.0 but it has been there from jump. Always the same. My alk slowly drops as my calcium plummets. I have one golfball sized coral colony on one of my rocks (Cladocora) and two small colonies on another rock. There's another polyp or two near my big clam. Anything in there sound like it should be riffling through ca? I *THINK* I'm seeing more purple on my rocks and am definitely seeing spots (lol) on one of my base rocks. What would qualify as heavy coraline growth?

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
Old 12-02-2004, 11:51 AM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyl
Anything in there sound like it should be riffling through ca?
Not really.

Quote:
What would qualify as heavy coraline growth?
Cleaning the glass every few days of coralline "spots" and coralline on the rock areas would have visible growth areas. One patch is definately a good sign but there's not enough "overall" growth to consume that much Ca. Nor are there enough scleratinians or mollusks/univalves.

Could still be there is some pull from the animals but I think you'll find as the tank moves out of the cycle stage and gains some stability, the chem will not do this so much.

Curious, have you been doing water changes during the cycle and if so, what saltmix?

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-02-2004, 12:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The salt mix that I used when I setup the tank was IO with tap (10/29; phospates tested 0 at the 2w mark). I did a 20% water change on 11/17 with LFS RO/DI water. That was the day that the LR went in to the tank. The Saturday after that was the first time I tested my Ca at 420 and it has been rolling downhill ever since! Don't know what salt the LFS uses in their premixed.

Glad to hear that the tank will stablize. Do you think I should just stop watching these numbers for now or should I keep up with them to prevent any losses to the inverts and LR?

Old 12-02-2004, 12:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
can someone lead me to a great place to buy a great calcium/alkalinity testing kit? My LFS doesn't carry any.

thanks!
-Matt
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:28 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Do a google search on Salifert or Seachem. Lots of online stores carry them.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com