wild caught fish food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evo8

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm sitting here fishing..I have tons of tiny baitfish that I caught in the net..could I freeze them and feed them to my aquarium? I assume silversides and all are wild caught aren't they? can disease survive being frozen? Thanks guys..sorry if its a dumb question lol

Bacteria can survive being frozen but parasites cannot. If you really want to do feeder fish then I would suggest getting a colony of wild type guppies and allowing them to breed. You will be able to keep a safer food source.

Ok so bad idea..I was just wondering because I'm thinking about setting up a snowflake/lionfish tank and. I know they like cut fish

I've used glass minnows and fish I caught as live and frozen food. No problems! Buying frozen or freezing your own what's the difference?

I agree. I make my own food with fresh items from the supermarket. Do you think they quarantine these fish to make sure they don't have diseases before they offer them for sale?
I have never seen any adverse effects feeding my food.

I agree. I make my own food with fresh items from the supermarket. Do you think they quarantine these fish to make sure they don't have diseases before they offer them for sale?
I have never seen any adverse effects feeding my food.

I'm not sure what is done with fish obtained for selling at supermarkets since I'm not affiliated with that occupation, but I do know that the FDA has standards that have to be upheld in order to sell meat, fish, etc.

Yes, but I'm sure they don't test for ich parasites or any of the diseases we see in the hobby. The FDA checks mainly for cleanliness and the age of the products.

Yes, but I'm sure they don't test for ich parasites or any of the diseases we see in the hobby. The FDA checks mainly for cleanliness and the age of the products.

I understand what your saying and its a good point but I would like to point out the source of the bait fish. Most are grown and bred in the same fashion as feeder fish which are almost guaranteed to harbor sickness. The store bought fish are kept in safer and cleaner conditions if they are farm raised. If they are wild caught I would worry about it less however there is a big issue with hemorrhagic septicemia here in Michigan which is another thing that would give me something to worry about.

I understand what your saying and its a good point but I would like to point out the source of the bait fish. Most are grown and bred in the same fashion as feeder fish which are almost guaranteed to harbor sickness. The store bought fish are kept in safer and cleaner conditions if they are farm raised. If they are wild caught I would worry about it less however there is a big issue with hemorrhagic septicemia here in Michigan which is another thing that would give me something to worry about.

Agreed!

Back
Top Bottom