Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Will bleached rock eventually take on the appearance of live rock?

I have a friend who pulled down his tank and he has offered me some rock however it looks bleached. I am thinking about taking some and using it as base rock so I can build up my tank like the LFS. Will it eventually change and match my LR with coralline? Also will it upset the params of my established tank? This is my tank now and I think it needs to be build up more with large pieces.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419807214.776133.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	259463Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419807276.295021.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	259464

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

DI68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
It will grow stuff on it over time so there's no worries. Just be sure to cure it before adding to your tank.

Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various builds
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
You will want to cure the rock to remove any ammonia source to prevent a ammonia spike! Adding 1 rock at a time and letting your system adapt before adding more would be wise!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
nelix10 is offline   Reply With Quote

app, bleach, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com