Will finally set up a 90 gal Reef tank. Few questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

funzy021

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finally convinced my girlfriend to buy a bigger tank!! :D
But I got a few question since I'll change from 20g to 90g.

In my 20g tank I got enought liverocks (25 pounds) so I didn't use skimmer. Only a small AquaClear 150 filter with Carbon and sponge. It's been over 4 months now and my water is excellent.

So I'm wondering if I can do the same thing with a bigger tank. If I have enought LR (let say 110-120 pounds), is it possible to maintained good water parameters without to need of other kind of filter or skimmer?

Second question. I'll keep my 20g tank as a quarantine tank. As it will stay in my living room, can I keep what I actually have in it (LR, few corals, snails and crabs) or I should remove them?

Im not sure if this is suggested or correct but I have a 45 gallon and have 100 lbs. LR & a canister filter ( i know they say not to use ) & a skimmer. My water levels are always good. I do change my canister every 3 weeks or so... I think a skimmer is always a good idea because it removes nurtrients which turn quickly into nitrates if your not careful.... It is really best to play by the book when you get a larger systems... Your adding so much more livestock the stakes skyrock...

Personally i think it is always a good idea to have a skimmer, especially on a larger tank. If you saw what that crap looks like, i think you would want one too.

For the QT tank, it is best to take out all corals and inverts. If a fish gets sick and needs to be treated in a QT, the corals and inverts will die from the medication. if you want to have it set up and running all the time to look at, i would turn it into a fowlr tank with only 1 or 2 small fish, with water changes half new water, half from the larger tank. HTH

You can find a good used skimmer for less than $100. I would get one. It will keep you from pulling your hair out down the road. BBreef answered teh question about the quarantine tank perfectly

Thanks for all your inputs.

We finally bought our new tank but it's a 75g instead of 90 ($100 bucks less expensive). I'll receive it in 2-3 weeks because I order a jetstream tank with 2 overflow.

Is there a site where I can have idea on how to build my own stand?

Back
Top Bottom