Will Hermits Survive Life Rock Mini Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericsze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 29 gallon FO tank has just finished cycling. After waiting a day or two, I added a good handful of hermit crabs to shift through the sand a bit. They seem to be pretty happy, running all over the place, kicking up the sand.

I just purcahsed some live rock from www.liveaquaria.com, they had a special this week. 45# for under a hundred bucks. The rock is cured, but since they ship it without water, you have to somewhat cure it again when it arrives. If I were to cure it in my tank (which only has the handful of hermits), will they survive? Or should I go invest in a big trashcan?

A friend of mine just broke down his 10 gallon FO, his hermits survived in ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels sky high.

Since it's "quasi-cured", do I still have to do 50% water changes twice a week? What is recommended?

If you ship the rock from liveaquaria.com 2 day like I did, expect for some big die off. I had a big ammonia spike after putting it my tank.

Not sure if I would risk it. I think it kind of depends on the size of the tank to. 45 lbs in a 75 will make a bigger hit than 45 in say a 200 :)

Back
Top Bottom