Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Will i have a cycle. Going from a 20g to a 135g

I will use the old sand to seed and be using all my live rock from that tank. I have cured dry rock that I am adding along with new sand. My live stock is 2 damsels 1 maroon clown 1 Picasso trigger 1 coral banded shrimp 3 hermit crabs 2 snails and a few small local crabs my son caught. My lighting For the New tank will be 120w full spectrum dimmable. I have a Sump sump as well that will be a refugium.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bump. Anyone?

Old 09-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure but I would. You are adding a lot more rock that isnt cured and your BB has to build up. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong
Old 09-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Missed the part about your dry rock being cured.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrockguy View Post
I'm not sure but I would. You are adding a lot more rock that isnt cured and your BB has to build up. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong
I am going to be using the bb in a bottle and all my live rock that is dry has been cured.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hopefully someone will jump in. I'm about to set up a 150 and I'm getting a deal on130# of Fiji live rock from someone getting out of the hobby. I plan on cycling mine for a couple weeks at least. Never can be to careful in this hobby
Old 09-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If the new sand you are using is live sand you'll see a cycle. If you are going to add the fish make sure you keep up on water changes to keep ammonia and nitrates down.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you transfer all the live rock from your old tank the same time you transfer the fish there MIGHT be a mini cycle but with the sheer volume of the tank I doubt it will register, especially if you are using a skimmer. Keep in mind that there is plenty of BB on the rock you already have to handle the bio load of your fish. As long as you give things a few weeks to settle out before adding new fish then everything should be just fine.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'd guess with an upgrade that big you'll see some cycle. 4 fish in a 120 is a pretty small bioload though and your rock from the 20g should have some bacteria on it already so the cycle should be small If I had to guess. Can you set up the 120 with all the rock and leave the fish with the sand in the 20 for a couple of weeks?
Old 09-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
I'd guess with an upgrade that big you'll see some cycle. 4 fish in a 120 is a pretty small bioload though and your rock from the 20g should have some bacteria on it already so the cycle should be small If I had to guess. Can you set up the 120 with all the rock and leave the fish with the sand in the 20 for a couple of weeks?
I could probably do that. The thing I have learned in this hobby -especially saltwater- is patients. If you don't have that then you will be putting more time on the job. I do not have 150lbs of rock yet. I only have about 75. And I packed out the 20g with a little more then half of that rock. I am not using live sand. I am using sand from home depot that is safe for marine. I just have to wash the hell out of it. And I have a bubble Mag 6 skimmer.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com