Will Prime Hurt my Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Guys today I got home and checked my SG and it was a little hi at 1.026 and about 2 gallon evaporated at least I added about 2 gallons of freshwater and added Prime to detox any chemical that is in my Tap Water. I know I need to use RO/DI water to top off but i can't afford that right now... I also use my digital Thermometer to get the water temp to what is in my tank which worked out really good... I basically got to use what I have until i have the money to get everything else I would need to continue my reef Tank....... But let me know if that will harm my fish by doing so?

Thanks

Frank the Tank.....:x-mas:

Prime (when used as directed) won't hurt your fish or coral. But...

You should probably keep up on the top off a little better. 2g of water in a 55g tank is coming up on 4% of your water volume. In my opinion, that's an awful lot to dump in at once. If my numbers are correct, that took your salinity from 1.026 to 1.025 pretty darn quick. I wouldn't make it a habit of going that long between top offs. Just for comparisons sake, during the summer, I top off my 46g every morning with 6 cups (3/8 gallon) of water.

Prime (when used as directed) won't hurt your fish or coral. But...

You should probably keep up on the top off a little better. 2g of water in a 55g tank is coming up on 4% of your water volume. In my opinion, that's an awful lot to dump in at once. If my numbers are correct, that took your salinity from 1.026 to 1.025 pretty darn quick. I wouldn't make it a habit of going that long between top offs. Just for comparisons sake, during the summer, I top off my 46g every morning with 6 cups (3/8 gallon) of water.

Thank you Major Nelson..... I did not know that... I would like to get this right so it will not happen again... I don't want to damage anything that will hurt my fish, but i will start topping off every day or every other day..... With that how much prime should I add to 6 cups of water?

Just for comparisons sake, during the summer, I top off my 46g every morning with 6 cups (3/8 gallon) of water.
Wow you really got that down to a science 3/8 gallon of water your on top of it for sure I am impressed LOL. I just fill up my sump every 4th day or so about 4 kool-aid pitchers

With that how much prime should I add to 6 cups of water?
Just about a drop is plenty like maybe a 1/2 a teaspoon would do 6 cups of water.

cool... thanks...
Yeah Nelson is great... Always has great advice and knowledge.....

Wow you really got that down to a science 3/8 gallon of water your on top of it for sure I am impressed LOL. I just fill up my sump every 4th day or so about 4 kool-aid pitchers ...

Not science... just a mark on the inside of my tank when I first started it up. The mark was made at my "full" level. Next day I just added water until I reached the line. Repeat that a few days in a row and you pretty much have it figured out. Now it's part of my morning ritual... add 20ml CBalance Part A... add 20ml CBalance Part B... add 6 cups of water... shave... brush teeth...

During the summer, it's around 6 cups. During the winter, it's around 4 cups. (I run a fan across the top in the summer, hence more evaporation.)

But yeah... don't discount the sudden change in salinity. There's a reason we acclimate our fish... right? 4 kool-aid pitchers is a LOT of water. Measure it out and calculate it as a percentage of your tank volume... you might be surprised. :D

Back
Top Bottom