will this filter be ok for me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christian7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I wanted to upgrade my filter from my penguin 350 bio wheel to an ehiem classic 2213.

My tank is a 30 gallon saltwater tank with fish snails, crabs, shrimp, live rock, polps. a little of everything.

Is the ehiem 2213 a good choice?
Am I an idiot for thinking about running both filters together??

Thanks for any advice.God bless
Christian

My main reason is I want to improve water clarity. I have to admit my LFS is always happy with my levels, but the tank is rarely crystal clear.

My best advice is to always test yourself. No offense to your lfs. But theyre always in it to make a buck and some stores might tell you your levels are fine but it is important to know yourself. When i started out years back i added so many different products, although i thought some worked, i ended up with different proplems. You say that you would like to clarify your water, what do you see in your tank that you do not like, maybe i can help.

Actualy, my only issue is my water is a bit cloudy. Its rarely that wonderfull chrystal clear look.

Im starting to think im over feeding and the PE mysis seems to be a cloudy food? Whats the best feeding amount and times per day? I usualy use 1/2 spiro and brine and 1/2 PE Mysis. Someone said to mix in different food options likel flake or pellets?

thanks for any info bro

Hello, i would suggest rinsing your food before you add it. Minimize your feedings andntake note if it makes a difference. You might want to add some carbon, it might clear up your tank. If its cloudy because of debris constantly flowing around your tank. Do a water change but right before you do, get a turkey baster and blast your live rock to stir up detrius. Change your filter pads or add some more. If your tank is cloudy with green water then your phosphates are out of control.

Hello, i would suggest rinsing your food before you add it. Minimize your feedings andntake note if it makes a difference. You might want to add some carbon, it might clear up your tank. If its cloudy because of debris constantly flowing around your tank. Do a water change but right before you do, get a turkey baster and blast your live rock to stir up detrius. Change your filter pads or add some more. If your tank is cloudy with green water then your phosphates are out of control.

Will do. It may very well be overfeeding possibly stocked a bit too much.

Im already running new pads and I use 4 in the filter
Would adding a protien skimmer help clarity would that be a better investment then adding canister filter??

thanks for your reply

I really don't think a skimmer will make that much of a difference in a 30g tank. What substrate do you have? What are you using for water flow? How often do you do a PWC? Feeding every other day will help. What are your water parameters?

Im using crushed coral. I have a power head blowing at lower level and a really nice water fan thing (For god sake someone remind wth its called) mixing up the surface. I think Im going to add 5-7 more lbs of LR today. I only have about 7lbs in there right now.

I dialed back my feeding to 1x per day:rolleyes: and I will start to rinse the pe mysis

I do pwc 1x per month. Darn I hate being honest....hear comes the heat!

MY LFS checks my levs for me. I only hear everything looks great.. Ill try to remember numbers next time.

I did see a skimmer that also has a biofilter. Would that be good or will the bio media be a problem.

Thanks for your input guys it appreciated...greatly

Back
Top Bottom