Will this make some things mad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should I do it?

• Get the 70 watt MH bulb!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave the tank alone!

• Whats a MH?

• Total voters

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello folks! I have been doing some serious thinking lately, and I want to make my new 5.5 a reef tank. The only thing is, lighting would be another 50 bux, but I found out how to make it even more. I have been talking to this one guy for a very long time, and he is gonna build me a hood. I am actually gonna put a 70 watt metal halide bulb over my minibow, how cool is that? The fixture comes with two blue leds, comp fans, all that. The only problem I think I am gonna have is bleaching maybe? I know the bulb is not really big but I dont want anything bad to happen. The lighting i have in the minibow now, fits perfectly in the 5.5 hood. I am really excited as I will now be able to get what I feel is the coolest thing ever, clams and SPS. Of course that will come with lots of time. At the moment I need to do lots of research on how I am gonna keep calcium levels up, and the other thing is I amm gonna need to get an autotop off since the tank will be open topped and I am gonna get some evaporation.

You can have all the light of the sun and the incorrect specitrum and it be of little use.

Those blue LED's. Does anyone know the specitrum they peak at? While actinic bulbs are purple/blue in color they peak at a specific light range. If these LED's are simply just blue in color but dont supply enough of the particular specitrum needed then they will be of little use.

Same with the MH. Make sure its of a good kelvin rating.

Personally I think you will have a heat issue. MH get HOT and a 5 1/2 gal tank is not much water to insolate from the heat. Fans will help but the bulb is still gonna radiate heat into the water and if it cant be cooled it could cause overheating problems.

I can see it jumping the temp up to the point where all you are doing is simmering a nice stew, especially if you have it in a hood close to the top. I don't even think fans will help at 12 watts per gallon. Slim it down some.

IMO, 70 MH is too much for a 7g mini bow.

The blue leds, provide actinic spectrum, I have been reading some posts by people that use them and they work well, you just have to use alot of them.

fishfreek said:
You can have all the light of the sun and the incorrect specitrum and it be of little use.

This is not true. The spectrum of the light is of little importance when compared to the intensity.

Those blue LED's. Does anyone know the specitrum they peak at? While actinic bulbs are purple/blue in color they peak at a specific light range. If these LED's are simply just blue in color but dont supply enough of the particular specitrum needed then they will be of little use.

True blue LED's (not the ones that have blue tinted lenses) do put out light in the same range as actinics. I have some of them.

Same with the MH. Make sure its of a good kelvin rating.

Define "good kelvin rating". It's mostly asthetics. Whatever looks good to you.

Personally I think you will have a heat issue. MH get HOT and a 5 1/2 gal tank is not much water to insolate from the heat. Fans will help but the bulb is still gonna radiate heat into the water and if it cant be cooled it could cause overheating problems.

Probably, unless the hood is designed to remove the heat.

This is not true. The spectrum of the light is of little importance when compared to the intensity.

I have never heard this, its always the opposite!

This is also untrue. I mean, plants like the lower spectrum, and corals like the higher one. Where are you getting this info?

d9hp said:

I have never heard this, its always the opposite!

This is also untrue. I mean, plants like the lower spectrum, and corals like the higher one. Where are you getting this info?

IMO, both of Bob's statements are factual. Intensity is more important than spectrum, but, we should endeavor to provide a good spectrums well. Happily enough, what is a visually pleasing range of spectrum to the human eye, is also an acceptable spectrum for coral growth. Corals have been kept and thriving under way less than ideal spectrums, when the only intensity that could be had was very low kelvin bulbs ;)

Lots of research, and everyone on this site, minus you. I am not questioning your credibility, I have just never seen it

Really? Everyone?

Well then, maybe you should visit other sites rather than only this one. :wink:

When I first got into this hobby, the general consensus was that spectrum was most important. That has changed in the last few years. I know people with only 6500k's over their frag tanks with unbelievably fast growth.

Even in planted freshwater systems, intensity wins out over spectrum everytime.

planted freshwater systems, intensity wins out over spectrum everytime.

This I can attest to, but some plants could live in a bathtub...

I still feel if you dont have a lot of light, make sure its the right spectrum. I am actually about to try a 5500k bulb on a prop tank im setting up. Lets hope it works out.

d9hp said:
I am actually about to try a 5500k bulb on a prop tank im setting up. Lets hope it works out.

It'll work great! About a year ago, I had 5500k's over my tank for 6 months. The softies grew like wildfire. I had a single capnella that began self propagating right after I put these bulbs in. I now have 30-40 of them. At least 10 are the same size as the mother now.

It is gonna be a zooanthid xenia tank mainly, because my LFS does not have either but wants them

Nope, most of the time you have said that spectrum is more important, if I am not mistaken

Your mistaken, I have always uphelp that intensity is more important than spectrum. But you should shoot for both ;) As a matter of fact, I can't remember a post where anyone has ever stated that kelvin rating was anything more than preference, we do urge people ont to go with a 4000K bulb, but for general reef K temps, it's preference.

Back
Top Bottom