Will this work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbarb1111

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am planning on starting a new 30 gal reef tank. I have two maxi 1200 powerheads, 200 watt heater, and a coralife light 96 watt 50/50. I am planning to purchase 40 lb of LR to cycle the tank. Do i need any additional filtration to make this work? Am I forgetting anything?
Thanks for any help.

Not meaning to nitpick, just making sure :wink:

Hydrometer/refractometer, thermometer, basic test kits (NH3, NO2, NO3, ph) and I'm sure obviously sand and salt :p

If your main filtration will be the LR, I would suggest a bit more. 50-60lbs would be much better for that size tank. There are good base rock alternatives to help cut the cost as well.

Although a skimmer is not a must, I would still recommend one. If not be sure you keep up with water changes and monitor water quality often.

Cheers
Steve

Check with LR.com in the sponsor forum. There are many different places to buy but they do come highly recommended. They sell base rock as well. An alternate dry base rock source would be Hi Rocks

Cheers
Steve

Does the dry base rock work the same way as the live rock ? Is there a ratio I should use dry rock to LR? Is it better to go all live rock?

Thanks

Base rock will work the same as LR once it has been seeded. What you do is order say 1/2 LR and 1/2 base rock, the ratio doesn't really matter but the more LR you initially buy the less time it will take to "transform" the base rock into LR. Over a period of a few weeks->months all the crittes and algae will spread to the base rock making it look and function the same as the LR.

HTH
Chris

Can't say enough good things from LR.com !
fishandstar.jpg

Back
Top Bottom