will this work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThatGuy619

Aquarium Advice Regular
this is what i had planned for my plumbing
the pump is a mag drive 18
glass-holes.com 1500gph overflow
diy sump 30g
diy acrylic refugium 15g

i just want to know if this will work and if i need to modify it

img_886828_0_66dc34559bb41d6faaf4450ed6048c56.jpg

What size tank? That mag 18 is a lot of flow.

Also, from what I've gathered and plan on doing, you'll want to separate the 2 overflows, 1 to the sump and 1 to the fuge, and put a valve on the one to the fuge to slow it down. You'll get more benefit from the fuge with slower flow.

its a 100g tank. yeah i eventually want to use my 220g tank i have thats a fw right now as a sw. i was thinking to just separate the 2 because i have a spare mag 5 i can use for the fuge and ill put a valve on the output for the mag 18

okay returned the mag 18 and got a mag 5 for the refuge and a mag 9.5 for the sump it should work with the head loss calculator i found in this forum

yeah they will run independently. that way i can control the flow for the fuge

When you say you will run them independently do you mean that the fuge will have it's own overflow or it will have one of the drains from the overflow like the picture you posted?

If you are using a single overflow and splitting the flow to two separate tanks that are not connected you are going to run into problems. Matching the overflow with the return of the MAG5 vs the Mag9.5 will be next to impossible. I tried this when I first got started. Disaster!

Your original drawing is a good one. The only thing I would change is remove the baffles from the fuge, drill that tank and put your PVC connection to the sump (use a strainer in the bulkhead to keep macro from going through). I would make sure to have a ball valve on both of the drain lines so you can control or shut off completely either section as needed. I would have the other drain line empty where ever your skimmer is so that the water coming out of the tank goes into the skimmer before getting pumped back to the display.

As Neilan stated lower flow through a fuge is better. Longer contact time with the macro is a good thing!

okay new setup inspired by ziggy953.

img_887704_0_0fa2b4b49b727308b0cde46e9f95f5da.jpg

keep in mind this is my first saltwater tank and not to scale

Much better design! That will work! The only thing I would change is I would take on of the drain lines and plumb it over to the baffle section of your sump instead of having both dump into your fuge.

Also you will probably need to upgrade that skimmer eventually depending on your bio load.

Much better design! That will work! The only thing I would change is I would take on of the drain lines and plumb it over to the baffle section of your sump instead of having both dump into your fuge.

Also you will probably need to upgrade that skimmer eventually depending on your bio load.

You may want to drop the valve to the sump and add a tee before the refuge valve. This way you can control water flow to the fuge without restricting overall flow.

okay got it up but not glued its running so that i can test the water flow and set it before i glue it down here are some pictures...and thanks again for all the help

img_888499_0_946b47c929dd7699e0d8e4ce4d6a89a9.jpg

img_888499_1_b61d402768aed6dea5093f0e7899b5bb.jpg

img_888499_2_69254f43250fe2c15b697c76065ddaa3.jpg

oh yeah i also re-enforced the stand because not sure if i trust it by its self with all weight and all. maybe it will but i wanted to have that warm fuzzy feeling. i got 5 of my friends weighing around 200lbs each and sat on it not even a creek. it will hold up now!!!

yeah i was really scared at first but i watched the video on youtube.com for like 3 days straight and then i was like okay just do it. after the first one it was easy i was a drilling fool

Back
Top Bottom