Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2005, 06:21 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyl
I could leave a full glass of water and that water is going to evaporate well before it seeps through a glass...

This certainly isn't what killed this guys fish in 3 days.
You are talking about two different types of glass. All glass is different in the way it breaths. Fish tank glass on breaths one direction, expecially the acrilyic ones.

I agree, I do not think that windex killed this guys fish in three days. I would take regular use and exessive use of windex to kill fish.

Old 03-17-2005, 06:29 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyl
Quote:
Thus it will absorb anything you put on it
I just can't buy that! It would take years and years for something like this to affect the fish if the product didn't evaporate to begin with. I'm there with you on not spraying near the tank for fear of the overspray, but I just can't swallow that spraying on the glass is going to get into my tank... through the glass.

I could leave a full glass of water and that water is going to evaporate well before it seeps through a glass...

This certainly isn't what killed this guys fish in 3 days.

I'm with Phyl here. The amount of chemical ammonia that would get into the tank (airborne, let alone THROUGH the glass) would be SO minimal that I can't imagine any harm would come of it. I mean you're talking about fine particles of mist in 55 gallons of water. I would bet (though I'm not going to do it) I could pour a shotglass of Windex into my tank and not experience any effects.

Let's just say I'm not about to encapsulate my tank in a atmospherically-controlled bubble.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:42 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can use baby wipes that works great.
MAG-DRIVE 700 GPH
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Fish
Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:44 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Monarch
I would bet (though I'm not going to do it) I could pour a shotglass of Windex into my tank and not experience any effects.
I will take you up on that bet!!!
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:44 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've always done what a few others said, spray a paper towel and wipe. I also don't believe windex could leach through the glass, if so your tank would always be moist b/c of water leaching out.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:48 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT79
I also don't believe windex could leach through the glass, if so your tank would always be moist b/c of water leaching out.
Most glass only breaths one direction. Fish tanks breath in, toward the water. Some glasses breath both directions, but that is not very common. It also depends on the thickness of the glass. Find a chemist to explain it to you. Its actually really cool. My sister is a scientist, she is the one that showed me once my husband jumped my rear quarters about using windex on the tank.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:53 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Most glass only breaths one direction. Fish tanks breath in, toward the water.
I'll have to look into that, it does sound interesting. FWIW, I've been cleaning my tanks as I described for years and I've been successful. I've got some reading to do...LOL.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:22 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I'm with Phyl here. The amount of chemical ammonia that would get into the tank (airborne, let alone THROUGH the glass) would be SO minimal that I can't imagine any harm would come of it.
This is what I think, too. I still have to believe that my killers are either viral/bacterial, or thelive LFS brine shrimp I fed them.

Funny, though, becasue I ate a couple of spoonfuls, too, and I'm fine.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:27 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiman
Funny, though, becasue I ate a couple of spoonfuls, too, and I'm fine.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:43 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Glass breathing doesn't make sense. Take a glass jar... now vacuum seal it. If the glass breathed, then the seal would break (over time). And if the Windex or ammonia was causing that much of a problem by leeching through glass then we wouldn't be able to vacuum seal glass for very long at all..!

Also, I believe that super sensitive 'lab' samples are sometimes sealed (vacuumed or not) in glass tubes because air cannot access it and tamper/screw with it. Right? I dunno, my 2 cents.

Tags
silent

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com