Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2005, 08:09 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My sister is a scientist, she is the one that showed me once my husband jumped my rear quarters about using windex on the tank.
While glass is not totally impermeable, most atoms are too large to pass through it. Helium and Hydrogen possibley can b/c they are among the smallest atoms, but I don't think you have to worry about that concerning windex. Plus it would take 30 years or so to build up. The debate continues... I'm still searching/reading LOL.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:21 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
I use RO water on a paper towle, and then dry it.

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:33 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You can use baby wipes that works great.
I wouldn't do that... there's lotion in those wipe, usually aloe and lanolin... Ick! I would imagine that would leave a film, if not immediately then certainly over time.

The best advice I've read so far is the Vinegar diluted with water. That is going to break down any salt residue and keep the glass clean. Vinegar is an excellent cleaner. Having a problem with a pump? Submerse it in vinegar and see how it does after.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:43 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I spray it on a paper towel then wipe the glass off. I just had some fish die. I don't know if that was the reason though.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:45 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

here is a good link for this debate, it's on another forum though...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...13#post4548213
Old 03-17-2005, 10:29 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT79
While glass is not totally impermeable, most atoms are too large to pass through it. Helium and Hydrogen possibley can b/c they are among the smallest atoms, but I don't think you have to worry about that concerning windex. Plus it would take 30 years or so to build up. The debate continues... I'm still searching/reading LOL.
I will buy just about anything my sis can explain in a scientific manner. She even drew a diagram of how the glass is created. Is it possible she was speaking of Helium & Hydrogen? Ya, but I asked her about fish tanks, so I am not sure.

I totally agree that it would take a long time for it to cause any major problems. I am sure this was not the killer of the fish.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:52 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Glass is not affected in any significant way by ordinary houshold chemicals. Per the Corning Museum of Glass:

"Only a few chemicals aggressively attack glass -- hydrofluoric acid, concentrated phosphoric acid (when hot, or when it contains fluorides), hot concentrated alkali solutions and superheated water. Hydrofluoric acid is the most powerful of this group; it attacks any type of silicate glass. Other acids attack only slightly; the degree of attack can be measured in laboratory tests but such corrosion is rarely significant in service for acids other than hydrofluoric and phosphoric."

Some might also argue that glass is a fluid, and it is the fluid properties that whould allow amonia to leech through the glass, but this is misleading. Glass exhibits the properties of a fluid only in its melted state, such as what you would see when a glass blower is working. The physics behind this is that at a high enough temperature the weaker chemical bonds that hold glass in a specific shape break down. As the glass gets hotter more of the chemical bonds break and the softer (or more "fluid) it gets. At room temperature, however, glass functions effectively as a crystaline structure and thus an effective barrier. Molecules as large as Ammonia will not pass though it. (even Helium and Hydrogen gas are only able to diffuse through it at an incredibly slow rate)

As for the spray- this will get into the water, but I'd bet that this amount is significantly less that the amount produced by your fish on a daily basis. I wouldn't worry about using Windex to clean your tank, but I wouldn't pour a whole bottle into the tank either.
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Sea Hare (a short lived species)
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Pencil Urchin
1 Sand Sifter Star
Assorted hermit crabs & snails
Button Polyps
Green Mushroom coral
SpiffyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:51 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
understandable but most aquariums are not built out of glass and is more of a tempered glass. i could see how you would think that windex will seep through the glass but in actuallity the windex will evaporate before it has a chance to seep. unless you spray the bottle directly into the tank or just leave a whole gobb of windex on your tank i dont see any problems. i usually use a glass-plus wipes which come is a plastic container. works well for me.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:13 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Maybe it was the inside of the glass he was cleaning?

I too, doubt that windex was the culprit. May have been a contibuting factor (but there would have been residual evidence as well i.e. high ammonia level).
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Maybe it was the inside of the glass he was cleaning?

I too, doubt that windex was the culprit. May have been a contibuting factor (but there would have been residual evidence as well i.e. high ammonia level).
I seem to have started a lively discussion here (that's why I love this board). I only posed the Q because I read it on another board (someone's LFS told him that windex had killed his fish) - my approach is never to rule out anything - hearing the opinions and views of others is always welcome. I, too, would find it hard to believe that the small amount of ammonia in Windex could kill, but I didn't know if there were perhaps other agents in the cleaner (perfume, color, whatever), so I posed the question.

BTW, I'm not sure it's accurate that glass only shows liquid properties in its melted state. VERY OLD bottles and glasses are often thicker at the base, I seem to recall from a long-ago physics or chemistry class, due to the flow of the glass.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
silent

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com