Windex, the silent killer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Over on the disease board I posted about my sudden fish deaths, and I've posted questions all over, and got my first TOTALLY original answer. Somebody over on RC answered that his LFS guy told him that Windex, yes WINDEX, would kill fish if sprayed on the front glass (fumes and small particles, etc.).

I know the guy from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" would disagree, but is this actually possible?

Technically, I suppose it would be possible, but highly unlikely if normal amounts are used. First hand experience seems to prove this out. A tank sitter spilled about 6 ounces in my 55 years ago, no deaths. The ammonia probably started a short cycle, but I can't comment on the severity as I was flying testless at the time.

yes its possible. Windex as well as many other glass cleaners contain amonia as their primary cleaning ingredient. One of the books I have states that it one of the 10 most common mistakes that people make with fish tanks. I know it seems far fetched, but it makes total sense if you think about it. Amonia is deadly to fish, and your spraying amonia directly on the glass, and the mist does tend to travel up and get into the water....

I spray windex on a paper towel, then wipe the tank with the towel.

Never heard of a Windex death. but better safe than sorry.

Also.. I imagine some materials that tanks are made of my leech the windex into it?

revhtree said:
NEVER spray Windex on your tank........ :roll:

I did that once... I thought my husband was going to kill me. He started screaming at me "What the *&*^^%$#^&#% are you doing!?!?!?" then grabbed the Windex out of my hands and gave me a LONG lecture on how the Windex will seep through the glass and kill our fish!

Glass is porous. Thus it will absorb anything you put on it. Windex and many other cleaners contain ammonia and other chemicals that are bad for fish tanks. Tiny amounts will not affect it in a negative way if you do not apply it directly to the surface, that is most likely why some folks on this site are able to use it on paper towels. :D

I have been using a vinegar/water mixture (1:4 vinegar to water mixture) for along time now. Just mix it in a spray bottle, spray it on the tank, and wipe. Have never had any ill effects from this and it adds a nice vinegar smell to the house! 8O

SJS

Thus it will absorb anything you put on it

I just can't buy that! It would take years and years for something like this to affect the fish if the product didn't evaporate to begin with. I'm there with you on not spraying near the tank for fear of the overspray, but I just can't swallow that spraying on the glass is going to get into my tank... through the glass.

I could leave a full glass of water and that water is going to evaporate well before it seeps through a glass...

This certainly isn't what killed this guys fish in 3 days.

I also use news paper or coffee filters to actually wipe it down with. It doesnt streak as bad and doesnt leave little bits of fuzz behind.

I use those pre-soaked Glass Plus wipes. They seem to work fine. I have been using them for a couple of years with no trouble.

Back
Top Bottom