Woke up to water on my hardwood floors...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boardsurfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Oh boy. I woke up at 5am this morning to a loud noise downstairs in my family room. Sure enough, it was the sound of my return pump sucking air. Immediately (while half asleep), I go into shock mode. Is everything okay? Are there floating fish? Corals ok? I run downstairs to a puddle of water on my hardwood floors.

So I think- what is wrong? Where is this water coming from my fish tank? Then I notice- Where did the water in the return area of my sump go? Why is that water gone, as I topped off last night before bed?

So I look at my separate skimmer container, and it is full. It must have continuously overflowed all night. I have a separate container with air tubing from the skimmer to the container, so that it will hold more than the collection cup at the top of the skimmer. It looks like my coralife super skimmer 125 had been shooting out water all night, and not just skimmate. I did not change any settings, it's just given up after 3.5 years.

So I immediately put water into my return area of my sump. I see a lot of steam coming up. Of course. In my haste, I didn't think about the heater probably half burning up. I probably ruined that heater by putting water on it.

So anyway, what is a good skimmer for my 125gal? I've read that Reef Octopus skimmers are great. Any recommendations?

octos are great , and from the info that mr x has given it seems that the bubble magus are a great skimmer too, and on ebay they are realitivly cheap also

Sorry to hear that =(

As for a skimmer, I love my Reef Octopus Extreme XS 200 on my 125g. It skims like a beast. It's a little much for a 125g, but i like my skimmers over-sized for my tank.

does the skimmer stop skimming every now and then and only skim sometimes or is it constantly pullign skimamte? if its constaqntly skimming then its a little under sized. a skimmer shouldn't be pulling out organics all the time if it is ther is to much nutrience in the water and you should either feed less, over stocked or your skimmer should simple be bigger.

there is a great video on youtube, its an LA fishguys episode #88, jim and scott go to reef dynamics and speak with jeff one of the owners about skimmers. it really has some great info and teaches alot about how a skimmer should work and some of the what goes in to designing a good one

Yes, it was going idle often enough......at least until last week when 3 of my new chromis died. The original 3 in the tank did not like the new invaders. I've had a mild nitrate increase since then.

AquaRick said:
Sorry to hear that =(

As for a skimmer, I love my Reef Octopus Extreme XS 200 on my 125g. It skims like a beast. It's a little much for a 125g, but i like my skimmers over-sized for my tank.

Yes, this seems like the best candidate so far- been reading good reviews on the extreme...

reviews tend to be biased, read stuff about the flaws and what people don't like about it. thats where i get most of my info.

its easy enough for soemone to buy one and compare it to a cheapo skimmer and have it produce better skimmate so they say its a wicked skimmer though it could be meh although with an octo thats not the case they are good skimmers

Agreed. Whenever I read reviews, I always read the 'poor' reviews. Plus, I look for reviews from those that have had the product/equipment for some time. It's easy to write a favorable review in the "honeymoon" phase (in the first few months of ownership).

nope i've never actually used a skimmer besides a crappy biocube skimmer. i only have a 26g but i have dug deep into the hobby and researched on skimmer design and bubble production

I have an octopus on my 90g and I gotta be honest, while it works I was expecting more from all the hype they get. LOL I still don't have mine dialed in exactly and it's not from lack of trying.

Just an opinion and it's in the minority. But they do come highly rated and reviewed.

Back
Top Bottom