Wondering how i can get my clownfish to host!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I purchased a torch coral about 3 weeks ago along with a tiny tank raised Ocellaris.. I think? And I have a 20 gallon tank and can't seem to get the little clown to go anywhere near the coral. And my family and I love watching a clownfish go in and out of an anemone so can anyone help? Does anyone have any special techniques they use? Thanks in advance!

Clowns aren't more likely to host a torch coral than anything else. Probably less so than anemones. If anything, a clown can really agitate a torch if it decides to host it.

About that big lol...the clown is probably 3/4 of an inch.. So you think I need a frogspawn instead of a torch? An

Nice looking torch! But I've seen people poke holes in a large specimen container and hand it in the tank with a nem and clowns. Or a bucket with the nem and clowns. Never heard of it done with a LPS though

Haha thanks. What do you mean by lps? And I have a breeder net/cage that hangs on the side of the tank would that work?

Oh okay thanks. What would you recommend for my little clown?

I did this method with a lta and it worked lolll

View attachment 83768

Large specimen box drilled holes and placed in tank for a day ....dropped food into anemone and the fish eventually went in to get the food and they are happy as hell now with their new friend ...the anemone hosted the clown in a day n half

Reefpete said:
I did this method with a lta and it worked lolll

Large specimen box drilled holes and placed in tank for a day ....dropped food into anemone and the fish eventually went in to get the food and they are happy as hell now with their new friend ...the anemone hosted the clown in a day n half

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking bout lol

Wow that's pretty cool I never thought about putting the food in the coral! Do you just use a syringe and squirt it in there or what?

I've heard of people doing that, but it's still no guarantee. Unfortunately, you can't force a clown to host something. Free fishy will at work here.
But hey, if that works for others, it's worth repeating! My clown has steadfastly ignored my two anemones... and decided to host a feather duster worm. LOL

armyman16 said:
Wow that's pretty cool I never thought about putting the food in the coral! Do you just use a syringe and squirt it in there or what?

I used garlic pellets and put them on the tentacles and it's funny because during the day they are in and out of the anemone but they still sleep sideways on my floating magnet at night lol

MacDracor said:
I've heard of people doing that, but it's still no guarantee. Unfortunately, you can't force a clown to host something. Free fishy will at work here.
But hey, if that works for others, it's worth repeating! My clown has steadfastly ignored my two anemones... and decided to host a feather duster worm. LOL

That's funny lol clowns are so weird

Yeah I never knew fish actually slept!! I'm used to freshwater fish until just about a month or two ago when I bought the little guy an I thought he was dead when I turned on the lights the morning! But within minutes he was swimming around happily looking for food

Back
Top Bottom