Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-29-2004, 01:03 AM   #1

Guess what guys?!?!!?!?!?!!?

I'm done cycling. Ok this may not seem like a very big deal to most of you guys, but this is my first tank and I waited 4 weeks for this. It's hard to wait that long when it's your first time. My ammonia and nitrite levels have fallen to undetectable levels and my PH is 8.2 and my salinity is 1.023.

Can I get some recommendations on fish for a first timer? I have a 20 gallon tank and I want to eventually create a reef and have corals but I am working slowly on it. I still need to buy lighting and build my sump. So I will start working on a reef in about 1-2 months.

I was thinking of getting:

- 2 clownfish (mated pair)
- 2 skunk cleaner shrimp

I already have:

- 1 damsel (LFS told me to cycle with damsel, 1 damsel died, I learned the hardway not to cycle with fish)
- 4 tiny hermit crabs

Do you think this is too much? I'm kind of worried about the clownfish and the damsel but I think 2 clownfish can take a damsel any day (as for the damsel, I don't give a **** what happens to it, I'm nice I know)

So what do you guys think? I need some suggestions....

Oh yeah, btw, I'm low on money so don't recommend something over expensive ($50+).
Old 08-29-2004, 01:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
that sounds pretty good I think. You may be pushing it on space a bit. But I say go for it!

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 06:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The clowns will be a good starter, but the damsel is likely to be a pita over time.

indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 08:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would ditch the damsel, they can be very mean. Look at either a royal gramma or some type of goby. I love my yellow watchman goby. Good luck...Lando
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd return the damsel too... a pair of clownfish would then be ideal for that size tank.
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 11:13 PM   #6
well...I donno about returning the damsel, but does anyone know how a damsel tastes like?

BTW, anyone interested in a damsel?
Old 08-30-2004, 03:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to ScurdOfCychlidz
lol they wouldn't taste good..haha, my father in law has 2 clowns and had a couple damsels and they just get worse as the weeks go on...more territorial and more agressive...to see those cool clown fishes get poked by the damsel makes me mad!
46G Bowfront tank, 46# WaltSmith Fiji LR, 30# Sand, AquaClear 70 filter, Standard Heater, Penguin 1140 PowerHead. 2 spotted puffer fish, 2 Ocellaris Clown
4 Green Chromis, 1 Hermit Crab, 1 turbo snail, couple asst snails, 4 small hermit crabs
ScurdOfCychlidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 11:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
I think 1 skunk cleaner is enough. I only have 1 in my 40 gallon tank and he does well.

I also agree to skip the damsel. 2 clowns, 1 skunk shrimp, and you'd still have room for some other inverts like turbo snails, or some starfish species.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:25 PM   #9
cool thx guys....you guys helped clear my mind up. I'll update you guys later on what I get.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
I am not sure I have heard that certain clowns hold their own. They can be pretty bold. 20g is gonna be hard though, not much room for a lot of fish. Even clowns can get kinda big over time.

MattP725 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com