WOO HOO!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Guess what guys?!?!!?!?!?!!?

I'm done cycling. Ok this may not seem like a very big deal to most of you guys, but this is my first tank and I waited 4 weeks for this. It's hard to wait that long when it's your first time. My ammonia and nitrite levels have fallen to undetectable levels and my PH is 8.2 and my salinity is 1.023.

Can I get some recommendations on fish for a first timer? I have a 20 gallon tank and I want to eventually create a reef and have corals but I am working slowly on it. I still need to buy lighting and build my sump. So I will start working on a reef in about 1-2 months.

I was thinking of getting:

- 2 clownfish (mated pair)
- 2 skunk cleaner shrimp

I already have:

- 1 damsel (LFS told me to cycle with damsel, 1 damsel died, I learned the hardway not to cycle with fish)
- 4 tiny hermit crabs

Do you think this is too much? I'm kind of worried about the clownfish and the damsel but I think 2 clownfish can take a damsel any day (as for the damsel, I don't give a **** what happens to it, I'm nice I know)

So what do you guys think? I need some suggestions....

Oh yeah, btw, I'm low on money so don't recommend something over expensive ($50+).

I would ditch the damsel, they can be very mean. Look at either a royal gramma or some type of goby. I love my yellow watchman goby. Good luck...Lando

I'd return the damsel too... a pair of clownfish would then be ideal for that size tank.

well...I donno about returning the damsel, but does anyone know how a damsel tastes like? :wink: :D :wink:

BTW, anyone interested in a damsel?

lol they wouldn't taste good..haha, my father in law has 2 clowns and had a couple damsels and they just get worse as the weeks go on...more territorial and more agressive...to see those cool clown fishes get poked by the damsel makes me mad!

I think 1 skunk cleaner is enough. I only have 1 in my 40 gallon tank and he does well.

I also agree to skip the damsel. 2 clowns, 1 skunk shrimp, and you'd still have room for some other inverts like turbo snails, or some starfish species.

cool thx guys....you guys helped clear my mind up. I'll update you guys later on what I get.

I am not sure I have heard that certain clowns hold their own. They can be pretty bold. 20g is gonna be hard though, not much room for a lot of fish. Even clowns can get kinda big over time.

Or you do what I did. build a new tank for the clown, and let the damsel live with the crabs and mantis :twisted:

I don't really care for the damsel. I think it has psychological problems now.

Well that is a common newbie "mistake"- starting w/ a damsel. Don't blame the fish for acting naturally. As far as the other fish and shrimp go, I would add the clowns, wait a week or so then add the shrimp, to account for the increased bioload. If there is any sort of ammo/trite spike the shrimp would be more susceptible to stress/sickness. Also IMO I feel 2 cleaners would be fine in a 20, provided there is ample hiding room. Good luck. HTH

mated pairs are well over the $50 range, i got 2 perculas from pet smart for 11.99 each, i got one very small one and one medium one and they get along great. also i've been told the maroon clowns are very bold and more aggressive than the other kinds. I'm embarrassed to admit this but the maroon i got had a few whitish spots on it so i netted him to do a freshwater dip, which worked nicely by the way until i tried to put him back... his barbels hooked on the net, i panicked, cut it away but the poor little guy looked like he was waiting for a pending sandstorm :oops:

no worries, he eventually tossed it off, then he tried taking on the coral beauty i was holding for a friend and she managed to take a strip off his belly, 8O

good luck to you

Back
Top Bottom