Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Woodstove & fish tank - recipe for disaster?

My new fish tank is in my family room, as is my ceramic tile woodstove. I just moved in two months ago so I have no idea what kind of heat this stove is capable of kicking off, but I'd like to try to save some on heating this winter by using it to heat the first floor of my house. Has anyone had luck with rigging a fan to run while a wood stove is on to use evaporative cooling? Is that enough? Do I need a chiller?

sooju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
evaporative cooling is usually good for 10 degrees or so, you just have to keep up with the water changes.
I'm not sure the specs of your tank, but a remote sump would also help you, by piping the water away from the warm area and back again, it will help keep things cooler.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
You can also have a pot of water on the stove to help lessen the evaporation from your tank.....
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
You can also have a pot of water on the stove to help lessen the evaporation from your tank.....
You'll want to do that regardless of having a fish tank!
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I agree the pot (or in our case 15g tub) is need on a wood stove. They generate very dry heat.

I heat solely with a wood stove. My stove is enclosed in it's own room with duct work through the house but the basement does get to about 85 during the winter. The only solution I have come up with is a lot of exposed moving water and fans. I have a harder time keeping my tank warm in the summer then I do in the winter.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com