WooHoo!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iodizedfate

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just might have scored a 30 gallon tank tonight for free! I don't have ANYTHING else to set up a salt water tank so I'm currently reading EVERYTHING I can and pricing everything out.

Unfortunately the tank is a hexagon tank but I think it has a stand, which would make it easy to hide some of the stuff.

I'm looking at a fluval 205 filter system, it should be good up to 40 gallons but I also wonder if I should go with the 305 in case I want a bigger tank. But at the same time if I get a bigger tank I might just want to build a sump for it.

Should I go for a protein skimmer? If I don't get one right off what are the disadvantages? I need to find an answer for those questions.

I can get RO water from the grocery store for 25 cents a gallon.

Final intent is for corals, fish and live rock. I don't know what was in the tank before so corals might not even be an option.

I am so looking forward to this. Been wanting to set up my own tank for over a year.

That's it for me being super excited and thinking out loud.

i think you can get by without a skimmer for now.. in terms of RO water, check out ebay,they sell a decent portable unit for around 60 bucks, (itll pay for itself in the long run) IF you dont get a protein skimmer, youll prob just see a lil quicker movement in your parameters.. all a skimmer does is remove physical waste before it breaks down into ammo,trites.. unfortunately, i believe hex tanks are kinda hard to sustain in terms of SW..not saying its impossible, just hard... may wanna consider other options

Thanks for letting me know that it might be more difficult. I'll just have to keep on it.

Unfortunately my only other option was to get a 2 gallon Fluval Spec and I think that would be more difficult than a 30 gal hex tank.

Thanks for the advice about the RO unit. I'll have to look into it. I'm short on funds right now and still have to get the tank from my friend so it's all just research for me at this point.

Yep, I agree, no skimmer needed if you do your weekly water changes and treat your tank right as far as feeding and fish load. :)

Hex tanks can be a challenge,I had one last year. The lighting can be a pain and it gives you alot of top to bottom space but not alot of sandbed real estate.

But free is free....I'd give it a try.

I use a fluval 305 in my 55g and it's adequate. Always go for more of a rating than your actual tank, specially with saltwater. You want the most filtration and turnover that you can get. You also will have to be on that canister filter though, I cleaned mine every 2 weeks, If you let it slide you will have nitrate issues for sure.

Thanks for the advice about the filter. I was going to get the 205 but think I'll go with the 305 now.

The biggest question right now I have is about lighting. What should I look for? What lights do I NEED and what lights are nice to have? I'm trying to spend as little as possible to start up due to budget limits.

I wish, it's a 30 gallon hex so i don't think it'll be anywhere near that size. im thinking around 12 to 18 inches. I still have to measure the tank. I've seen it before but it's been a few months.

Whoa, that light place is awesome! where did you find that? I've been looking on amazon for most of my stuff with the intent to shop around before I buy from there.

I also run the fluval 305 on my 68g (US) and with carey's advice I ran it with carbon, live media (lice rock rubble) and filter floss and the results have been fantastic, crystal clear water! I don't think the price difference between the 205 and 305 is that great so I would be inclined to upgrade.

Well, I was talking around work and scored a 50g tank with all the supplies for free! Gonna check it out the weekend probably. I hope this works out, save me a ton of money (in the immediate at least)

Nice pull, hopefully the tank is in good shape. make sure you check the inside silicone and that its all sealed and good. :)

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom