World's Largest Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AMANIQU77

Aquarium Advice Freak
I watched the world's largest aquarium documentary on the Travel Channel recently. Wow, I didn't know that the largest aquarium is in Valencia, Spain. It's huge.

I also like the corals and the fish that they were showing in that show.

Anyone else saw it?

I thought they said the corals were not real. That`s what I thought they said.

I think it just got passed up by the new aquarium that opend in Atlanta, to the tune of $300 million. It was basically donated to the city by the founder of Home Depot. I think it was billed as the largest in the world.

According to the web the one in spain has 11 million gallons and atlanta has 8 million. Personally it would come down to quality though. I would rather see a 1 million gallon high quality aquarium than a bigger one just crammed with fish.

According to the web the one in spain has 11 million gallons and atlanta has 8 million.
It must be the largest in the States.
I thought they said the corals were not real
Most large public aquariums do not use real coral. They typically use molded and painted replicas. I was talking with the Aquarist at the MN Zoo and he said that if large aquariums stocked with live corals there would be no more reefs. The aim of such aquariums is ussually education and conservation, taking from living reefs would be a bit counter-productive for their cause. The one at the MN zoo is currently closed for renovation. They drained it and are re-coloring the corals.

holy crap that's big. We have a 850,000g marine tank in Omaha at the Henry Doorly Zoo and i thought that was big. Must be a sight to behold.

Yeah, you guys are right. The corals in the Valencia, Spain aquarium are fake. They put food there for the tropical fish, then they clean them everyday.

It was pretty fun how they do the shopping list in the middle of the sea. I wonder, though, do they need to pay for them? Do they owe anyone for those fish? I mean, that kinda sucks.

But wow, for you who saw the show, did you see that Sun Fish? What a weird fish huh? Cute, but weird. Reminds me of a trigger with "tuna-like" skin.

Personally, I've only been to one aquarium. The one in Baltimore. They fixed it up last year and it was pretty impressive. I just don't know why there was an aviary at the top of the aquarium. What's with that?

Oh, I also watched the Atlantis Hotel on Paradise Island. They showed how the aquarium was built. Amazing. They pump water in from the ocean, they go through their filtration system etc etc, then they move to the aquarium, then they get flushed out. According to them, no body of water in the tank is recycled. Cool.

I am curious about the Atlanta aquarium now. I'll save up money then I will probably go for it. 8 million? That's huge.

By the way, a little off topic geography wise. Has anyone been to the Washington DC aquarium? Is there one? OK, that's all.

On the topic of the Washington DC aquarium - my wife and I stopped in at what was named the National Aquarium in downtown DC - down near the White House/Washington Monument/Museum area - it was in a basement of a large building - not quite what I was expecting - its the only one I had heard of while we were there

Chicago's Shedd Aquarium is outstanding

Surprisingly the Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle Beach in the Boardwalk area was great. During a rainstorm while on vacation we decided to stop in and we were very impressed by the setup and activities for the youngsters. Not something I expected on a tourist locale - but I highly recommend it

Pittsburgh PA's Aquarium has come quite a ways and they are adding on currently

I plan on making a trip down to Atlanta this summer - maybe a side trip to Baltimore because so many have raved about it

Back
Top Bottom