Worried about NO2 & NO3 level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

33w_fish_guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
My live rock arrived yesterday and I put in tank. there was some die-off due to 21 hrs of transit time and poor quality shipping container.
I did water readings this morning and there where some concerns on my NO2 & NO3 level along with ammonia. My protein skimmer it working well. I did a 40% to alleviate this problem. I do think I need to get a better quality test kit.

Does anyone have any suggestions or encouraging comment for my situation?

Can anyone suggest a good test kit for what I need to monitor?

My tanks info is available @

http://www.graymunchie.net/the_boys_fish.htm

What you are seeing is the tank cycling. I astually used my LR to cycle my tank before adding any livestock in. I used the LR only. so you will see the normal spkes in NH3 - NO2 - NO3 as it runs through this cycle. However over a few weeks this should stabilise to only trace elements of nitrates and 0 on ammonia and nitrites. So I would start testing for all three every few days and you should gradually see the ammonia disappear, followed by the nitrites and then the nitrates should go down to trace amounts or 0. During this time, you should not do any water changes. Once the cycle is complete, then do a large water change and you are basically ready to go. HTH 8)

Sam said:
What you are seeing is the tank cycling. I astually used my LR to cycle my tank before adding any livestock in. I used the LR only. so you will see the normal spkes in NH3 - NO2 - NO3 as it runs through this cycle. However over a few weeks this should stabilise to only trace elements of nitrates and 0 on ammonia and nitrites. So I would start testing for all three every few days and you should gradually see the ammonia disappear, followed by the nitrites and then the nitrates should go down to trace amounts or 0. During this time, you should not do any water changes. Once the cycle is complete, then do a large water change and you are basically ready to go. HTH 8)

Thanks Sam!

Back
Top Bottom