Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

would like some information on what to use to back up my tank in case of power outage

I have been given a beautiful 50 gallon coral reef tank with alot of equiptment. I am learning how to take of it but would like some information on what to use to back up my tank in case of power outage. I have a brand new generator but am trying to find what to use for a short time like 5- 6 hours like if my power goes out in the middle of the night or until I could set up my generator. thank you for any help

Old 05-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

a big plug in UPS (universal power supply) its liek a battery unit that is used mainly for computers but you can get large enough ones to power a few pumps in your aquarium but 6 hours won't kill your system

Old 05-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #3

It really depends on how 'paranoid' you want to be (and how much you want to spend). Many people just get a battery backup for a pump or two. Others will buy a generator. The problem with the generator is that it doesn't matter if it can run your whole house, if you aren't there to get it going your tanks will still be dead. Battery backups only last so long, so you could still come home to the same result.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thank you so much for a quick reply. I am going to officemax and best buy to see what they have. I heard aps is a good brand. also if I might ask another question. my tank is very well seasoned and everything in it looks great My problem is every time I try to put any new coral in they don't last. I have gone to differant stores but it still happens. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tags
power outage, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com