Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Schism- great advice and I agree with the advice regarding the protein skimmer!

As far as cost goes to set up the tank alone, I think 5k is expensive! I had 150 gallon tank and I know I didn't drop that much money straight out of the shoot. I'm learning about reef tanks as well since I've only had FOWLER with anemone. Schism knows his stuff (I've seen many of his responses here) so I would go with what ever he advises as will I!!

Old 08-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_kaiser
Schism- great advice and I agree with the advice regarding the protein skimmer!

As far as cost goes to set up the tank alone, I think 5k is expensive! I had 150 gallon tank and I know I didn't drop that much money straight out of the shoot. I'm learning about reef tanks as well since I've only had FOWLER with anemone. Schism knows his stuff (I've seen many of his responses here) so I would go with what ever he advises as will I!!
Honestly for a nice reef tank $5k for 150 gallon DT isn't that crazy. My estimate is $40-$50 a gallon is a good rule of thumb for a pretty much finished tank with decent to high end equipment. I'm at around $3500 on my 46 gallon reef tank but I could definately have had a reef tank for a whole lot less.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

Honestly for a nice reef tank $5k for 150 gallon DT isn't that crazy. My estimate is $40-$50 a gallon is a good rule of thumb for a pretty much finished tank with decent to high end equipment. I'm at around $3500 on my 46 gallon reef tank but I could definately have had a reef tank for a whole lot less.
Totally! My reef has sucked up alot of money, one upgrade leads to another and soon its more then just a regular reef tank. I mean after a little while you say hey those chillers look pretty cool, ill go grab me one of those. Then you see people with auto top offs and you think about how much you hate dumping water from a milk jug into your tank, so you pick one up. Then you want some more high end sps corals so you go with the radion led lights, but you cant just have 1 fixture! Haha as you can see alot of money goes into the tank and you dont realize it... Or you dont want to add it up
Old 08-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

WOW!! That's expensive!!! I've seen some expensive corals and knew you could drop some serious coin if you wanted. I guess it does add up as you progress. Hmmm...auto top off sounds NICE!! LOL!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondanation09
Schism

Thanks for the detail!

Really I am not sure on which type of coral. No clue here. Does the type of fish I want to keep help,me narrow it down? For instance clown with anemones? What kind do you suggest for a marineland 93gallon cube? I do plan on mixing live rock with some dry rock...and what about live sand? Shallow sand bed or deep?

I would be happy with 2 clowns, blue tang and maybe 1 other fish....but the clowns I really enjoy. Should everything go under aquarium or since it is a new home build should I try to run plumbing into basement underneath? Benefits vs disadvantages here?
Thats a start. Nems require high intensity lighting. Do you know the dimensions of that tank? A can suggest a few different lighting options.

As far as live sand goes i say dont get it. Its expensive and kind of a gimmick as usually it contains a lot of dieoff sitting in the bags on a LFS shelve for long periods. So go with dry sand, a few cups of live sand from a local reefers tank would be a great addition to seed the dry sandbed well. As far as shallow or deep, i highly suggest shallow unless you plan on having critters that require a deep sand bed. You really need to know what your doing for a proper DSB that will work long term.

The blue tang will get very large and not recommended for 93g cube. A yellow tang would probably be doable or kole etc. few other smaller ones that might be ok.

If you run everything to the basement you can drastically cut down on noise as well as make your sump very large as you do not have to fit it under the tank in the stand. however running it to the basement will require a large return pump to pump your water back up 1 story. Personally i would route to the basement but that me. If you choose this route i suggest hard plumbing and done properly with minimal bends to clog and plenty of ball valves so repairs can be done of needed.

With 5g's you will have no problem starting a kick-*** tank. Most people starting are not willing to front even a quarter that so your already ahead of the game.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok...say your saying $5000 for 93 gallon marine land full reef setup is about right? If so I am back to freshwater and maybe cichlids setup. Thanks all never thought I would be looking at $5000 for 93 gallon reef setup
Old 08-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
5000 would get you top of the line everything and all the bells and whistles to go with it. You can do it for much less. I setup a 55g reef about 4 months ago and all said and done I am sitting at about 2300 for everything other than the tank which I already had. That is all livestock including corals, all live rock as I didn't want to seed base rock, lights, live sand. That also includes a RODI system, auto top off, skimmer. It's not that bad especially since you can buy it a little at a time then once you have the necessities you can start cycling.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think that's a lot. Not including tank say... 350-500 to light a skimmers $300-400... Sump price depends on DIY or ready made $150-300... Live sand or aragonite sand $90-130 rock you could do like 30lbs live 60lbs dead. At 2.99 and 7.99 a pound depending on location or website. And powerheads for korallia's $50-60x2 or 3 depending on the model you want.

Of course you could make it much more expensive if I liked though, lol

By my list: probably around 2k not including tank so 2,700-2,800k I would say.

And to be honest you could get away with .75lbs of Rock a gallon also not to say 1lb a gallon isn't better.

I spend about 1,500 on my 75gl not including tank. I have 65-70lbs of Rick in my tank with zero problems of my levels

Just piece it together each paycheck.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondanation09
Ok...say your saying $5000 for 93 gallon marine land full reef setup is about right? If so I am back to freshwater and maybe cichlids setup. Thanks all never thought I would be looking at $5000 for 93 gallon reef setup
No 5000 is not required for a reef setup. I thought you said you were looking at spending 5000. 5000 will get you top of the line equipment buy there are cheaper routes. Expect to front atleast a good 1-2k to get started tho for what you want. Fish only systems are much cheaper. A reef though, especially wanting nems will be much pricier.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Whew!! Glad you replied to that schism because I was about to toss the reef idea out the door and I only have 56 gallons!

When quoted $5,000.00, are we talking the full deal (equipment, tank full of beautiful corals, live rock, fish)? I don't doubt that eventually the cost would add up to that much but upfront, that's a good bit.

Tags
advice, fresh, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com