Would like to switch from fresh to salt need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nikki_kaiser said:
Whew!! Glad you replied to that schism because I was about to toss the reef idea out the door and I only have 56 gallons!

When quoted $5,000.00, are we talking the full deal (equipment, tank full of beautiful corals, live rock, fish)? I don't doubt that eventually the cost would add up to that much but upfront, that's a good bit.

Up front its a lot less that's why I said a nearly finished reef will be around 40-50 dollars a gallon for a nice to high end setup. It really starts to add up when getting corals, reactors, and other extras to make your life easier.

Mrc8858 said:
Up front its a lot less that's why I said a nearly finished reef will be around 40-50 dollars a gallon for a nice to high end setup. It really starts to add up when getting corals, reactors, and other extras to make your life easier.

Spending thousands is not hard at all. Lighting, filtration and flow are usually what makes a reef more expensive than a FOWLER.

Here is my setup with rough prices.

29g tank $100
Skimmer $170
Lighting $400
Flow $230
Controller $270
Live rock $250
Reactor $60
ATO switch $30
Heater $30
Stand/canopy $200
Sand $40
RoDi unit $120

Livestock well over $500

So for just a 29g tank thats nearly 2.5k and thats not including old equipment that got replaced with upgrades. Also does not include shipping fees which was required for a lot of it.

When you add in all the other little things like food, salt, buckets, test kits, hoses etc its probably closer to 3k.

Hurts to think about but in reality it could be much less or much more depending on what your trying to achieve and how easy you want your life to be maintaining the tank.

Personally i rather spend big money on the right stuff than have to replace something less than a year later because it was not right for the job.

Yearly operation costs of my tank run around $500 are guestimated when factoring in salt, water, food, bulbs, carbon, GFO, kalk, ro filters, electricity and AC. $500 is probably on the lower side actually when you factor in all the itty bitty things.

Hope that helps you get an idea of what your getting into exactly and what you might want.

Schism said:
Spending thousands is not hard at all. Lighting, filtration and flow are usually what makes a reef more expensive than a FOWLER.

Here is my setup with rough prices.

29g tank $100
Skimmer $170
Lighting $400
Flow $230
Controller $270
Live rock $250
Reactor $60
ATO switch $30
Heater $30
Stand/canopy $200
Sand $40
RoDi unit $120

Livestock well over $500

So for just a 29g tank thats nearly 2.5k and thats not including old equipment that got replaced with upgrades. Also does not include shipping fees which was required for a lot of it.

When you add in all the other little things like food, salt, buckets, test kits, hoses etc its probably closer to 3k.

Hurts to think about but in reality it could be much less or much more depending on what your trying to achieve and how easy you want your life to be maintaining the tank.

Personally i rather spend big money on the right stuff than have to replace something less than a year later because it was not right for the job.

Yearly operation costs of my tank run around $500 are guestimated when factoring in salt, water, food, bulbs, carbon, GFO, kalk, ro filters, electricity and AC. $500 is probably on the lower side actually when you factor in all the itty bitty things.

Hope that helps you get an idea of what your getting into exactly and what you might want.

I don't even wanna make a list knowing that I'm guessing $3500 lol

Something else to consider is if you want to get started start off as a fowlr but keep only reef safe fish. Then as time goes on add a skimmer one paycheque, lights the next kinda thing. Investment will be the same but spread it out so it's easier on the pocket book. For a fowlr all you really need is rock and a powerhead, though I would suggest getting a RODI water system up front as it will save alot of headache with algae issues.

Ok so how would this be:

MArineland aquarium = $332.49 93 Gallon Cube : Incredible Aquarium

Super Reef Octopus = $499 Super Reef Octopus 8” Full Cone Skimmer In Sump [SROXP2000INT] - $499.99 : Incredible Aquarium

Koralia Evolution 1400 Circulation x 2 = $59 x 2 = $118 Koralia Evolution 1400 Circulation Pump [korEvo1400] - $59.99 : Incredible Aquarium

Reeflo Blowhole Pump x 2 = $174.99 x 2 = $349.98

Wavebox 6206 = $349.99 Wavebox Nano 6206 [6206.000] - $349.99 : Incredible Aquarium

Blueline titanium Heater = $49.99 BlueLine Titanium Heater 500w [AMBT5] - $49.99 : Incredible Aquarium

Blueline Temperature Controller = $69.99 BlueLine Temperature Controller [AMBTC] - $69.99 : Incredible Aquarium

Lighting I have no idea about lighting or canopy! Tank will be Marineland Cube 30x30x24...NEED HELP HERE!

PuraTek Deluxe 100 RO/DI Unit = $319.99 PuraTek DELUXE 100 by Vertex 100GPD [VT-RO-DX100] - $319.99 : Incredible Aquarium

Apex controller by neptune = $509.99 Apex Controller System by Neptune Systems [apexsystem] - $509.99 : Incredible Aquarium

live rock = $9.99lb x 50 = $500 Premium Indonesian Liverock Per/lb. InStock [indoliverock] - $9.99 : Incredible Aquarium

live rock cheaper different kind = $4.99lb x 40lbs = $199.60 Liverock InStock [liverock] - $4.99 : Incredible Aquarium

aragonite sand 30lbs x $28.99 x 3 = $86.70 30 lbs. Sugar Size Aragonite Sand [regooliticsa] - $28.99 : Incredible Aquarium

Total $3385.72 x 13% tax = $3825.86

Mind you this is without trying to get sale items but am I on right track? Anything I should not get? Potential savings by choosing different items? Did I miss something?

Another store nearby to me would be bigalspets.ca if you guys see products just as good for cheaper price. I would like to keep this between $2000-$2500 if possible.

Thanks all:fish2:

Don't forget to look at Craigslist and the local reef club. Here's my break down, not including livestock:

75 Gallon tank and Stand - $300 (Craigslist)
75 Pounds live rock + 75 pounds sand - $200 (reef club)
Lights (6 bulb T5 HO) - $350 (That Pet Place scratch & dent)
Sump - $180 (That Pet Place scratch & dent)
Return pumps - $50 (one from local reef club & one from Petco clearance)
Circulation pumps - $100 (Drs. Foster & Smith/ Ebay)
Overflow boxes - $70 (one from Craigslist and another from That Pet Place clearance)
Plumbing parts - $50 (Home Depot)
Reactor - $50 (reef club)
Protein Skimmer (Aqua C 120) - $100 (Craigslist)
Heater - $30 (LFS)
Refractometer - $25 (Bulk Reef Supply)
RODI - $150 (Pure Water Club)
Test kits - $50 (LFS)
Auto Top Off - $50 (Bulk Reef Supply)
Pump for ATO -$17 (That Pet Place)

TOTAL - $1772

I've learned to look for bargains, and I bet I could have knocked another $100 off if I was more patient on the tank and stand.

I actually started without the reactor and the auto top off.

This hobby is expensive, without a doubt.

Rutrag said:
Don't forget to look at Craigslist and the local reef club. Here's my break down, not including livestock:

75 Gallon tank and Stand - $300 (Craigslist)
75 Pounds live rock + 75 pounds sand - $200 (reef club)
Lights (6 bulb T5 HO) - $350 (That Pet Place scratch & dent)
Sump - $180 (That Pet Place scratch & dent)
Return pumps - $50 (one from local reef club & one from Petco clearance)
Circulation pumps - $100 (Drs. Foster & Smith/ Ebay)
Overflow boxes - $70 (one from Craigslist and another from That Pet Place clearance)
Plumbing parts - $50 (Home Depot)
Reactor - $50 (reef club)
Protein Skimmer (Aqua C 120) - $100 (Craigslist)
Heater - $30 (LFS)
Refractometer - $25 (Bulk Reef Supply)
RODI - $150 (Pure Water Club)
Test kits - $50 (LFS)
Auto Top Off - $50 (Bulk Reef Supply)
Pump for ATO -$17 (That Pet Place)

TOTAL - $1772

I've learned to look for bargains, and I bet I could have knocked another $100 off if I was more patient on the tank and stand.

I actually started without the reactor and the auto top off.

This hobby is expensive, without a doubt.

I don't see a livestock list..bet that would add a few hundred ;)

With that size of an aquarium, you may want to go with two heaters. See what others have to say though. I'm no expert.

I set up a 90 gallon for much less then that and I have since then upgraded to a 150 with no extra equipment you will not need heaters if you are using MH and you still prolly won't need them unless your house gets like 60 at night pumps typically add enough heat to keep it at the right temp deff doesn't cost that much plus it doesn't need the key to a good tank is time so no sence in buying equipment you don't need right away

Also the use of RO is kinda over rated unless you are on well water or have terrible tap water but I would suggest u test your tap water I have ran mu reef for over 2 years on tap

Something else to consider is if you want to get started start off as a fowlr but keep only reef safe fish. Then as time goes on add a skimmer one paycheque, lights the next kinda thing. Investment will be the same but spread it out so it's easier on the pocket book. For a fowlr all you really need is rock and a powerhead, though I would suggest getting a RODI water system up front as it will save alot of headache with algae issues.

Yeah i know, my chest is hurting after that...

I think what I am struggling with is purchasing the right equipment...there is so much stuff and so many different brands. Do not want to buy something that will either not do the job or break within a year. I want to buy reliable stuff(brands) but not break the bank either...if possible. Maybe if someone can look over what I listed or even provide good brands to keep an eye on for each piece of equipment that I can snap up over the next year. The new house will not be ready until next summer but if I can retrofit a specific area knowing what I want to do I will.

Should I be going live rock, sand, fish only maybe for 6-12 months first then worry about coral and such...then I could look for equipment while I am keeping live rock and fish only? What would I need for this type of setup?

I had an idea? What if I were to change my 15 gallon fresh into a reef? Is that possible? Would biological matter from freshwater carry over to saltwater build? I have fluval C3 hang on back right know...would I still be able to use it plus buy a power head and live rock?

Or would everything be toast in the switcher over?

Thinking maybe if I start small for the next year then when move I could use everything in 15 gallon to seed 93 gallon...good/bad?

It will save you a lot of money but that is a small body of water for corals so you'll have to be more on top of maintenance and top offs. It's definitely nice to have an existing tank to seed a larger tank with too and by then you'll have plenty of time to research before dropping serious money. If it were me though as I bet many will agree go as big as you can for your first SW. Going fowlr then switching to a reef slowly will also really spread out the cost of it to make it less noticeable on the wallet :)

Oh ya and all your BB will die during the switch so you have to start over.

That's what I did I had a small protien skimmer and tank given to me alone with very basic salt water basics like salt a hydrometer and a rock(I mean a single rock) I just mixed some water after I bought a bag of sand and got some dry rock out of my buddies tank and ended up buy a pc light and it did well for a long time and pretty well every thing that I had in that tank i
Still have after up grading from a 10 to a 90 to a 150

OK after a lot of reading in various forums and based on various suggestions I think I will convert my 15 gallon freshwater into a FOWLR to start and slowly turn it into a nano reef over the next year in the anticipation that I will get the hang of things and be able use this 15 gallon to seed my future large tank.

So I have 1 year to work on my 15 gallon and get it right. From what I have been reading on nano reef tanks...no skimmer is required and I can use my current HOB filter just not the filter pad itself, but still use for carbon. I have a Fluval C3, 75W heater and the tank itself currently. I have the following questions however:

1) What do I do with the hood? Mine came with the tank it is traditional cover with flip top and light...do i ditch this? What cover/light do I buy to start the FOWLR tank?

2) My reading suggests I need 2 powerheads at opposite ends of the tank...do I put them diagnol towards one another? Poin then at each other or direct them towards the glass? How would 2 Koralia Nano Reef circulation pumps at 425GPH do or should I go with 2 Koralia Evolution 750 pumps at 750GPH...or one of each?

3) I will be using Live rock so about 15-17 pounds ok?

4) sand i was thinking Carib Sea Aragamax "SELECT "Sugar Sized Sand...thoughts?

5) What lighting will I need to keep soft corals 6-8 months from now if tank is ready and stable?

Did I miss anything?

Thanks all

I used a 4 in 1 coralight power compact and I had a carpet anemone and a brain coral I would still use a protien skimmer and try and get a what seems like an over kill canister filter if u really plan on going reef

+1 on still running a skimmer. If your doing a fowlr to start you can keep your hood and lighting but will want to upgrade when you go reef. I would suggest LEDs, get one unit when the time comes then when you do your larger tank you just need to get one more. As far as powerheads go for fowlr you would only need 150-200gph of flow but more is better. If it was me I would shoot for two 250 gph powerheads that way you don't need to upgrade when you go reef. A larger tank will require more flow so you will likely have to get larger powerheads when you upgrade tanks but the smaller ones can still be used for added flow and eliminating dead spots. Personally I would run a canister over a HOB but the main purpose of a filter on a marine tank is to filter out particulate such as poop and excess food. If you have a hob just use that no sense buying a canister. An important thing to remember is that the filter needs to be cleaned during every water change. A skimmer teamed up with a filter should result in pretty good water conditions. Another thing to note is if your getting live rock keep it wet, take a couple 5g buckets so you can keep the rock submerged and this should incredibly reduce if not eliminate the cycle. Another very important thing to buy is a test kit. Alot of people don't like them but start with an API saltwater master test kit, it's a good introductory test kit that will get you started. You will likely want to do more tests down the road and that's where having the reef test kit comes handy. Then you can just get the single test kits for other trace elements.

Back
Top Bottom