Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would this light fixture be adequate for sps and soft corals?

This is the the light fixture we probably will be going with. It looks like a good deal, but we'd like to know if it will be adequate for us. We have a 30 gal. and would like to have some sps and soft corals. If you happen to have it and love it or hate it, we'd like to know that as well. It's a Coralife Aqualight T5 lunar.

http://www.roxiespetden.com/Coralife...e_p_49622.html

Old 10-25-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That light should be fine for your needs in my opinion. You will have to place any SPS a bit higher up in the tank though i would think. But overall not a bad entry level fixture.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

That sounds good. We'll plan to place the SPS on top. What would you suggest are good beginner corals?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Beginner Corals: Corals Suitable for Beginners in Saltwater Aquariums

check this out...
Old 10-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

For beginner corals I'd recommend some mushrooms, zooas and maybe a leather, like a toadstool. You could also keep some candycanes or trumpet corals, hammers and duncans. I've had really good luck with all of the above and they actually don't require any special care other than good water and water changes. I have been squirting mysis and brine to my duncan and it seems to love it, but other than that I just let it be.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Carey,
How often do you feed your duncan?
Old 10-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I fed it twice this week so far. Although for months prior I hadn't fed it at all and it just kept sprouting heads. lol It's pretty neat to watch the head just close up around the food, I find it fascinating. I started with one or two heads on it and it has over 8 at least and it's still going.

Most corals can do just fine with water changes to replenish trace elements that the corals consume with no feeding required. Only non-photsynthetic corals like sun polyps require actual feeding. Believe it or not corals really aren't that difficult to keep in my experience, just great water parameters really and decent light.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

You make it sound easy to keep corals. Thank you for being so encouraging. I've always thought that SW was too difficult and expensive. I'm so glad that the kids had an interest in starting this as a science project. It's great hands on for them with all of the testing through the cycle and lots of fun learning new things! We're going to purchase some Chemipure Elite and Purigen that I've read about from other posts, hopefully that along with our water changes will help us keep the water parameters where they should be.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've had good success with running the purigen and chemipure elite, plus it lasts for months instead of weeks.

Glad you guys are enjoying your sw journey, there is soo much to learn, one of the reasons i love it so much.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm just waiting to hear if our lfs can get it for us, if not we'll order it online.

Tags
coral, corals, fixture, light, light fixture, soft, soft corals, sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com