Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Is this a good deal?
Yes 2 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-15-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Would you say this is a good deal for a used 180G setup

I've been offered a 180 Gallon saltwater aquarium for $850. The aquarium is up and running right now, but with no fish.
Here is what is included:

180 gallon Reef Ready saltwater aquarium
"Aro Ballasts for halides and vho actinics"
Coralife Super Skimmer Protein Skimmer
Aprox 100lbs of live rock "$800 retail"
Live Sand
"Very Good Condition, already cycled, just add fish"

What do you guys think? What questions should I ask when I talk to him next?
Here some I was thinking of:
About how old is the whole setup?
What brand/model/watts is your lighting & type of bulbs?
Possible to get a model of the coralife super skimmer?
Model/Watt of heater.
Additional items, such as salt, test kits, etc.?
I'm completely new to Saltwater, but have been doing lots of research on the forums. This seems like a good price, with the skimmer and rocks, but I really need some expert advice.

Thanks for listening!

rk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Seems like a good deal to me. Live rock is usually around 4/lb or more so thats good. Doesn't quite look like 100 lbs to me but its hard to tell from the picture. Would ask about the lighting. Live sand is kind of a non factor i probably would just get new sand and that skimmer is garbage. I would replace it when you have the money. Keep in mind you will still need a sump and a pump and some other small things to really get going. Probably an additional 150-250 to get going.

pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Depending on the quality of the rock, it *may* be an OK deal. Not amazing, but not a rip off either. Agree with Pat... sure doesn't look like 100 lbs to me. Unless it's really dense rock. And if it is, that's not necessarily good rock to have. You want open porous rock. Anyway...

One thing to keep in mind is that if this tank has been fishless for any extended period of time, then it's not really "cycled and ready to add fish". Unless the owner has been feeding the empty tank some fish food to serve as an ammonia source for the bacteria, then most likely all the bacteria is dead. You'll most likely want to recycle that tank again - it's the only way to really know if it's truly ready or not.

You'll also want to ask if the owner has used copper based medications in the tank. If so, you won't want to use it as a reef tank.

They mention ballasts, but not fixtures. I'd find out for certain what exactly you're getting there. Granted, the ballasts are the expensive part, but don't assume you're getting a full light set. Bulbs can set you back some $$ too.

You can pick up a new 180g tank for $800-1000, so let that be a gauge. The skimmer is kinda junk, as Pat noted. And you'll want to get new sand anyway. Sooo... guess I'm not sounding like it's that great of a deal! But hey... it's easy to pick it apart when you're not the one that's wanting it!
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com