Would you say this is a good deal for a used 180G setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is this a good deal?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rk01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been offered a 180 Gallon saltwater aquarium for $850. The aquarium is up and running right now, but with no fish.
Here is what is included:

180 gallon Reef Ready saltwater aquarium
Cabinet/Stand
"Aro Ballasts for halides and vho actinics"
Coralife Super Skimmer Protein Skimmer
"Heater"
Aprox 100lbs of live rock "$800 retail"
Live Sand
"Very Good Condition, already cycled, just add fish"

What do you guys think? What questions should I ask when I talk to him next?
Here some I was thinking of:
About how old is the whole setup?
What brand/model/watts is your lighting & type of bulbs?
Possible to get a model of the coralife super skimmer?
Model/Watt of heater.
Additional items, such as salt, test kits, etc.?
I'm completely new to Saltwater, but have been doing lots of research on the forums. This seems like a good price, with the skimmer and rocks, but I really need some expert advice.

Thanks for listening!

Seems like a good deal to me. Live rock is usually around 4/lb or more so thats good. Doesn't quite look like 100 lbs to me but its hard to tell from the picture. Would ask about the lighting. Live sand is kind of a non factor i probably would just get new sand and that skimmer is garbage. I would replace it when you have the money. Keep in mind you will still need a sump and a pump and some other small things to really get going. Probably an additional 150-250 to get going.

Depending on the quality of the rock, it *may* be an OK deal. Not amazing, but not a rip off either. Agree with Pat... sure doesn't look like 100 lbs to me. Unless it's really dense rock. And if it is, that's not necessarily good rock to have. You want open porous rock. Anyway...

One thing to keep in mind is that if this tank has been fishless for any extended period of time, then it's not really "cycled and ready to add fish". Unless the owner has been feeding the empty tank some fish food to serve as an ammonia source for the bacteria, then most likely all the bacteria is dead. You'll most likely want to recycle that tank again - it's the only way to really know if it's truly ready or not.

You'll also want to ask if the owner has used copper based medications in the tank. If so, you won't want to use it as a reef tank.

They mention ballasts, but not fixtures. I'd find out for certain what exactly you're getting there. Granted, the ballasts are the expensive part, but don't assume you're getting a full light set. Bulbs can set you back some $$ too.

You can pick up a new 180g tank for $800-1000, so let that be a gauge. The skimmer is kinda junk, as Pat noted. And you'll want to get new sand anyway. Sooo... guess I'm not sounding like it's that great of a deal! But hey... it's easy to pick it apart when you're not the one that's wanting it! :)

Back
Top Bottom