Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2003, 03:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are these fish really hard to keep? I love em and really want one.....I have a 30 gal tank with about 30 lbs of lr....I wanna add some more soon...My tank has been running for almost 4 months now. My sand bed is only about 2.5 inches deep though....I was considering making the bed deeper. Will this fish be able to survive in my tank with its current conditions? What if i witness it taking prepared food?

Old 09-28-2003, 03:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I just got a mandarin a few days ago, he was in a tank with no live rock just some fake decorations. The guy said he eats live brine shrimp and he'll find other things to eat in the live rock. He looked nice in the tank but it was kinda hard to get e real good look at him, he was swimming alond the bottom and sides. Anyway, I got gim home and was floating him in the bag I looked up at him from the bottom and his little belly is all sunk in he looks kinda skinny from the top too. I have seen him pickin at the like rock and I've been putting lotsa live brine shrip in for him... what else can I do for him... I hope he has a better chance in my tank, I hope I took him out of a bad place and put him in a better one.

Old 09-28-2003, 06:35 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I hope I took him out of a bad place and put him in a better one.
While this is certainly likely, it may not be enough. Mandarins rarely eat anything but pods off the LR and LS, if you have a muture tank w/100 lbs of LR or more with a healthy pod population, the fish may fatten back up and be OK.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 06:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
hoops-i have a lot of pods and a sump with rock and ls,right now my lfs has a green mandarin that he is holding for me and seeing if he can get him to eat other things..if it works out that this fish will accept other food do you think in a 75 if i switch rocks in and out of the sump that i will beable to keep enough of a pod population to have him stay healthy? am a little worried because i have heard they hunt pods day and night do not want him to starve...please any opinions welcome.
Sorry for the delay! I think the 75g with plenty of LR will do fine, I would continue to attempt to feed it prepared foods after you introduce it to the tank. Patience is key, it took me a year to get my leaf fish to eat prepared foods, but now it consumes it readily.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I just found mine dead, he didn't even make it even a few days in my tank, I feel so bad, the poor little guy
Old 09-28-2003, 08:09 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I just found mine dead, he didn't even make it even a few days in my tank, I feel so bad, the poor little guy
I'm sorry for your loss.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
thank you for the info hoops...silly so sorry about your beautiful fish
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 11:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
Dude I wish you the best of luck with that fish since I was interested in one, but I gave up after the difficulties in feeding.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:27 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

As of yesterday (10-12-03) he was still there and I actually saw the silly thing eat some flake food, I have never heard of that. Girl at the store told me that he was a pig and would eat anything put into the tank. If he is there when my 2 clowns are out of QT, think I will take a chance on him.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:05 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
ercfish,

I see your from MN and so am I what petco you looking at? If you are looking at the "New" one over in the burnsville area and many other petco's in our area you notice they have no LR and no LS or any inverts. This is because the tank is being run with cooper so be careful on your purchase.

Tags
mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com