wow wow no comments on fiji rocks ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scuba_steve

Aquarium Advice Addict
cant believe no thread on the fiji rock issue ?!?!?!?!!? what are ya people thinkin out there ?? just curious

I have not followd the story 100% but I can tell you from reading some other forums that there are some folks who are taking this out of proportion.

From what I understand the government has or is suggesting putting a hold, or greatly limiting, the import of fiji rock and corals until the fiji government can develop and propose a 'continual harvest' plan of conservation.

which tells me that it prob gonna be awhile !! wasnt fiji cannibals just 50 years ago ??

One thing I noticed with all the political stuff is, you always hear how they are going to stop letting us have the rocks and corals, but won't ban people from wearing sunblock and gosh knows what else they put on, and then getting in our oceans...there is no telling what that stuff is doing to our reefs and corals..Fuel, oil, waste, etc....all out in the great blue yonder........

The uneducated are jumping to conclusions that this is going to lead to an all out ban on rock and coral imports. That is not the case. I have seen statistics just as recently as a few weeks ago that showed the US is by far the #1 importer of rock, coral and fish.

Many of these third world countries have no 'sustanable harvest' plans ineffect and the net result of this is that the current generation of collectors is basicly taking away from the reef faster than the reef can sustain and the net effect is that they are basicly taking the livelyhood away from their son's and their son's son's because of the methods and amounts they are taking.

The US govertment is working on helping these nations realize the benifits of a controlled collection process where fish and corals as well as rocks are not taken from the reef in a manor thats faster than the natural reef can sustain.

www.coralreefs.gov

http://www.coralreef.noaa.gov

Whats interesting is back in '99 their was discussions of a total ban from fiji.
http://www.spc.org.nc/coastfish/News/lrf/7/LRF7-10.htm

Now for the acutal facts on this.

http://www.cites.org/eng/news/sundry/fiji_suspen_renewed2.shtml

Therefore the recommendation of the Conference of the Parties that all Parties refuse any import from and export or re-export to Fiji of specimens of CITES-listed species is renewed from 31 October 2003 until further notice.

What is CITIES

The specific items would be those listed in Appendex II of the CITIES report.

Appendix II lists species that are not necessarily now threatened with extinction but that may become so unless trade is closely controlled. It also includes so-called "look-alike species", i.e. species of which the specimens in trade look like those of species listed for conservation reasons (see Article II, paragraph 2 of the Convention). International trade in specimens of Appendix-II species may be authorized by the granting an export permit or re-export certificate; no import permit is necessary. Permits or certificates should only be granted if the relevant authorities are satisfied that certain conditions are met, above all that trade will not be detrimental to the survival of the species in the wild. (See Article IV of the Convention)

http://www.cites.org/eng/disc/species.shtml

CITIES Appendex II list of Fiji

very nice fishfreek like the links!! the first i heard of this was yesterday at my lfs !! so couldnt wait to get to work to read about it !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The uneducated are jumping to conclusions that this is going to lead to an all out ban on rock and coral imports. That is not the case. I have seen statistics just as recently as a few weeks ago that showed the US is by far the #1 importer of rock, coral and fish.

think this is a bit harsh to say dont you ?? uneducated ?!?!?! not the right word mabe miss lead or misunderstood to say the least !!! the issues are all valid on both sides and even though i love to think that our great country would love to save the world !! but come on they do more damage then they do good most of the time !!

but started this just to hear what people views on it were!! not to have a war on words :)

look at iraq were speading millions shipping in oil to iraq ?!?!?@!?@#?$##@$

whats that about ???

uneducated = those who dont bother to take what they hear and investigate and find the truth aganst the rumors.

Im not calling you uneducated at all nor am I pointing fingers at anyone in particular. But as im sure your aware there are many a folks who will take what they hear and turn it around to some grandeious plot aganst mankind or something.

Your free to discuss political views in the lounge but be aware that as with anything political opinons will differ and people will be very adiment about their views.

Fishfreek... I would i be correct in saying that there is a huge difference in Fiji live rock and live rock from a farm?

I would i be correct in saying that there is a huge difference in Fiji live rock and live rock from a farm?

I would rather have live rock from a farm (i.e. aqua cultured rock) instead of Fiji as it seems to have the most life and hitchikers on it. Of course this is not always the case as it depends on the company culturing the rock in the first place.

always and if ya think about it make sense !! the farm rock is normally only in the ocean for a few years were "real" live rock has been there for mabe 100 years more diverse life for sure !!

always and if ya think about it make sense !! the farm rock is normally only in the ocean for a few years were "real" live rock has been there for mabe 100 years more diverse life for sure !!

I think you misread my post. The problem I have seen with most Fiji rock is that it is out of the water way too long to have any kind of hitchhiking life actually survive. The rock I got from liveaquaria.com was out of the water for 2 weeks before I got it (perhaps even longer). But if you were to get it from local rock farmers, they actually go out and collect their rock everyday and then ship it out immediately. This leads to the rock have all kinds of life on it.

Good point biggen. I was away and could not respond till now. On average the fiji rock is out of the ocean a VERY long time vs the aquaculture rock from FL. If you read some of the comments made by the people who have gotten rock from Liverocks.com I think you will be supprised at the amount of live that they are finding on their rocks when they arrive.

I dont think I have ever seen crabs or shrimp surviving on fiji rock but people who have gotten FL rock have commented about the life they have gotten on the rock including shrimps, crabs, and other assorted inverts.

Each has its own merits but I would not say one is nessicaraly better than the other.

Intresting, I was thinking about adding some more live rock over time and was looking into the rock from florida, I think I might give it a try after some research into the matter.

one recommendation I will make is that you check the sponsor forums here and look hard at the rock pictures that have been posted there. Ask those that have bought it what they think. Don't just accept a sales pitch, read recommendations.

I have purchased extensive amounts of fiji and lalo rock. From different sources.
I have recently bought aquacultured rock. Even tho the fiji may be "airier" looking and have more exotic shapes, I am finding that it matters less and less as I cover it all up with corals anyway.

I was immensely pleased with the aquacultured florida rock from liverocks.com.
This is not a plug for them per say, but a comment on the fact that it more than adequately suits my needs and also made me feel a whole lot less guilty buying it.

Hey
Thanks all who have pushed the idea of aquaclutred rock here in this thread. I thinks its important to show there is an alterative to Fiji rock. You can see the pics of the LR on many websites being collected like waltsmith site and other huge wholesaler sites. You see the boxes just sitting out on the beach sundrying....

To add on to the point someone made, yes aquaclutred rock is collect speed boated back to our warehouse and shipped as soon as possible. We strive for minamal holding time for all of our rock so we can save as much life as possible at liverocks.com

Zack

Back
Top Bottom