Wrasse - do they usually have such huge appetites??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lauren_88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do wrasses usually eat so much? My wrasse just eats and eats. When I feed usually half a block of frozen brine shrimp twice/three times a day he will just eat constantly unlike my clowns and goby who eat a few shrimp each then ignore the rest of the shrimp floating around the tank. Is it normal for wrasses to eat so much? I'm not complaining as there is now never any left over food lol. I think it's a red fairy wrasse but I'll upload a pic for ID

image-1897439405.jpg

image-2836917966.jpg

image-4215170580.jpg

Just because he eats whenever you feed, don't feed so much. 3 times a day is way too much. Those without high energy fish like anthias easily feed once every day or two with good success. Your nitrate levels and phosphates likely are not good with that much frozen cube food going into the tank every day. Your other fish will also benefit from a more varied diet that includes vegetable matter.

Fish will eat as often as you feed them. I feed mine twice a day, they eat what I put in the tank in less than a minute. I use frozen food Rod's food I am very careful not to over feed.

I don't just feed frozen I also have good flake food although clowns won't take it easily. I normally feed at about lunch time and then again at 7pm. My nitrate levels are 5 and have been so since my tank finished cycling 6 weeks ago. I think half a cube once a day isn't too much food for 4 fish is it?

Yes but I didn't mean 3 cubes a day lol. I break the cube in half then feed that half over the day. Either twice or 3 times. Just small amounts each time until I have fed a full half a cube

Rinse those cubes in a small net with freshwater. They are loaded with phosphates which will accumulate and give you algae and other problems down the road. I'd also fortify those cubes with Garlic Guard and vitamin added.

Back
Top Bottom