Wrong water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lsugurl10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So....I'm acclimating a new invert (for an empty tank) and I just realized that I bought CaribSea Ready Water (for freshwater), can I still use this if I add my salt to it for top off or is it specifically designed for just freshwater?
Thanks!

I woodnt cuz sw and fw used compltly diff chems and stuff but just empy the best u can i dnt think youll need to clean and throw stuff out

Most of the water is ocean water...the Caribsea would just be a top off..but I have salt I can add to it..still a bad idea?:banghead:

Well ive heard a little ocean water mabey a quart at max is good to get in there for all the stuff but not too much or ur cruzin for an algea brusin and no you cant use fw salt in a sw tank or it can cause massive problems due to the difference in chem balances and minerals also you prob wont have the right salinity cuz the amount in the directions was designed for fw,sorry man good luck!

Haha..sorry, I should have clarified. I used deionized water with a salt mixture. I did use the Caribsea (for fw) but I added my salt mixture. Salinity was good and all the other readings were good..so I used it...just to top off. Everything seems to well today (all my readings are great) and the inverts are doing well!
Lesson learned...stock up on deionized water! Haha!!
Thanks for all your help!

do not add salt to top off water unless you want to raise the salt content in the tank. salt does not evaporate, so you will need to simply add fresh water for top off.

Back
Top Bottom