Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef
It would be best to do 10 % water change even with a protein skimmer, just means you'd have "cleaner" water. Protein skimmer is just a piece of equipment to help out. On larger tanks it is preferred b/c of how much waste there is. Smaller tanks, it's not a huge problem.
Ok thanks. So without a tank, filter, and protein skimmer, rock, sand and etc. I'm looking at around $230. Is this light ok? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002D...9749792&sr=1-7

Old 10-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As far as corals go I really need some good ideas that will work. I am a beginner, so ones that allow some room for error are nice. . I would like to try to buy a good lighting fixture but I would like to keep it 70> if at all possible. Also I'm seeing that an upgrade from a 24" fixture to a 30" fixture is nearly $20! So maybe a standard 20 gallon would be the easiest. Also I have been looking at test kits and the API one looks good but everyone else doesn't seem to like it. So my question is could I get both the marine and reef test kit and be ok in the long run even with some corals? What would I need to dose for beginner corals?

Old 10-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also could I just run an emperor 280 for filtration?I would rather do that because I already have an emperor 400 on my 55 and would like to keep the cartridges the same. And how much live sand/rock would be needed. And then how much sand/rock total?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

As far as dosing goes I have a 40gal reef and I don't dose at all. U can see my pic of my tank in my profile and the corals I have in it. By doing water changes you replenish a lot of the stuff(calcium, magnesium etc..) the corals need. It's only a 20gal so water changes help out quite a bit. I used a bout 2 1/2-3 bags of sand for my tank gave me about a 2" sand bed. Some people like deeper some like it none at all, it's up too you. The rocks is different I'm sure everyone will have there own opinion about how much to put in there. I just put what looked good. Obviously 4 or 5 rocks isn't going to cut it as I've seen some people use there live rock as most of there filtration. If your budget is low buy it used. Go on Craigslist and find people that are getting out of the hobby that's what I did. The stores here in fl sell it for 7-8$ a pound and i got it for 2-3$ a pound. Just make sure the tank is healthy before buying it. Don't want to be introducing bad stuff in the new tank. Once everything is in let it do it's thing for a while(cycle) good luck and ask questions. a lot of people on this site know quite a bit about tanks.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok thanks. I am planning in getting mostly base rock and then adding a little live rock I seed the rest. As far as stocking goes, I definitely want a pair of occellaris (spelling?) clowns. I also would like a goby of some kind but I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks. If someone could answer my question about filtration that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Not 100% but the next thread down from your it's marked (lots of newbie questions) he's starting a new tank and from some of the pics he's running two of those hang on filters. I didn't read it but maybe youll have some answers there about those filters. I have seen saltwater tanks with them on there and the tank looked awesome but they were established tank. Not sure of that makes a difference.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I couldn't find it. Could you provide a link? How about my lighting idea?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nicoleisstoked. I believe that's her username. Don't know how to make a link to her posts but u can look her up and find the one with the "newbie questions". As for the lights I'm don't know how deep your tank is can't be that much being a 20gal but u can prob keep lower light softies and lps maybe. Lighting is such a big aspect of this hobby it's hard to tell u what to get and I know there damm expensive
Old 10-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwagon View Post
As far as corals go I really need some good ideas that will work. I am a beginner, so ones that allow some room for error are nice. . I would like to try to buy a good lighting fixture but I would like to keep it 70> if at all possible. Also I'm seeing that an upgrade from a 24" fixture to a 30" fixture is nearly $20! So maybe a standard 20 gallon would be the easiest. Also I have been looking at test kits and the API one looks good but everyone else doesn't seem to like it. So my question is could I get both the marine and reef test kit and be ok in the long run even with some corals? What would I need to dose for beginner corals?
Yeah standard sizes are going to be less money than others. I would know from having a 70 gallon 5 foot tank and having to buy a 60" light instead of a 48" . I think you'd be okay in the long run. If you keep corals that are easy and allow some room for error which would be soft corals/polyps, etc. I think a semi-accurate test would be okay. Hard corals are a different story, plus they need more lighting and consistent/ideal parameters most of the time creating more light/work than I think you want to commit to right now. If you have a good salt, say Red Sea Coral Pro Salt (I use this, it's awesome ) or reef crystals, I don't think you'd need to dose much. Maybe you can get some B-ionic 2 part system bottles to dose on occasion if your levels get too low, but since you have a small tank, and prob. not a lot of corals that require high calcium, you should be fine w/ just the salt.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwagon View Post
Also could I just run an emperor 280 for filtration?I would rather do that because I already have an emperor 400 on my 55 and would like to keep the cartridges the same. And how much live sand/rock would be needed. And then how much sand/rock total?
Are these biowheel type filters? If so, it would probably be best to get a different filter that is rated up to twice your tank. So something for a 40 gallon would work. Reef tanks require lower nitrates, and filtration helps with keeping them down. Lot's of people recommend and love the aquaclear filter for their SW reef tanks/FOWLR.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com