xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey all. i have a large colony of xenia its been in the aquarium about 2 months now. how long does it normally take for it to spread and how to tell if its healthy.. also where is best to put it in the tank.. top (high flow) middle (medium flow) or bottom (low flow)

My xenia traveled on its own to the highest spot in the tank! So I would say put it high. Mine seems to be a steady grower. Does yours pulse? Mine pulses for periods at a time and then not at all...weird! Good luck with yours

My xenia started spreading in a matter of a few weeks. If I had it to do all over again I would have gotten rid of the one rock a lot sooner that it came in on.

iam not sure if it pulses.. its on quite a large stalk maybe 2inch and on the end its like a waving hand. its not spread at all and its only stayed on the rock it came on. does it have to be live rock it spreads onto or will it just spread onto any rock

Xenia are capable of being mobile (probably at a rate of a couple of mm per day if they're not happy at their current position, if their current position is adequate they'll stay where they are). Xenia clones or 'offspring' seem to tend to move away from the 'parent', usually toward higher spots in the tank (probably to get their decent share of the light).

They're also capable of completely detaching and have the water flow carry them to a potentially better place. I'll sometimes find xenia 'orphans' on in an area of the tank completely opposite from the main colony.

They can grow on the sides of the glass and even powerhead cords, so any surface will do. I've got xenia growing on torch coral skeleton.

they LOVE lots and lots of light
so high up on a rock with med flow is the best

craig_will2513 said:
so will my xenia and other corals only spread onto live rock or will it spread onto non live ocean rock

It will spread on everything. Ur non live rock will turn live sooner or later anyways ;)

mine isnt spreading anywhere why could this be.. and my non live rock was white when i put it in now its turned very darl like the live rock is this it turning into live rock

If the xenia is one of those corals either it is happy or it isn't. Give it time and soon you will find it in places that you don't want it if it is happy.

I like it...looks really good. I just don't like the way it takes over the tank. A friend of mine has it all over her bio cube. It spread like wide fire, growin on the side of the glass and even the pumps!!

Mine doesn't grow but looks happy, pulsing away like crazy LOL
I hear ppl hate it, and some love it. If it takes over you can always cut it back and sell the trims ;)

I cut it back and it came right back, I got a rock with a little bit of it on it and I actually tried to kill and couldn't. I took out the rock before I thought it started to move but it is on 2 other rocks and I think I see a little starting on another rock. I like it but not in the tank that it is growing in.

Give it a chance and it will start growing and spreading.

Back
Top Bottom