Ye Old Shrimp Cycling...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

excited_newby

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I am getting tired of wating and looking for decent LR so I have decided that we will get the cycling process done and then in the next few weeks as the cycling finishes up we can add the LR or a couple of clowns, and just do mad water changes till we get some LR.

Here are my questions on the shrimp method:
1) Do I need to add some of the bottled bacteria stuff or do I just throw that bad boy in there and it will take care of itself?
2) Do I keep my skimmer on or do I turn it off until the cycling is done?
3) How long will the cycling take with a 30 gal tank?
4) Is there a point where I should pull the shrimp out or do I let it just dissapear?

Any other suggestions on this method would be much appreatiated.

1) Do I need to add some of the bottled bacteria stuff or do I just throw that bad boy in there and it will take care of itself?

I never used any bacterial helper, some will say it shortens the cycle. Just tossing the shrimp in will get the bacteria growing.

2) Do I keep my skimmer on or do I turn it off until the cycling is done?
Without any fish or inverts in the tank running the skimmer isn't necessary.

3) How long will the cycling take with a 30 gal tank?
The cycle time is different for every tank. It could take 3 weeks it could take 6 weeks.

4) Is there a point where I should pull the shrimp out or do I let it just dissapear?
I think once the ammonia level has peaked out that you could take the shrimp out...unless you've become attached to it :mrgreen:

Just keep in mind that even if you've cycled your tank, adding uncured or even half cured LR may still cause ammonia to rise and a mini-cycle to take place. If you have fish in there when you add any LR its best to be sure it is fully cured.

Allright. Thanks for the advice.

What would you say peaking out is as far as ammonia goes? I think that our test things go up to like 8 ppm or something. When should I stop?

And will giant prawns do? I think if have some of the tiger prawns in the freezer but I'm not sure.

Here's my cycle story...I have a 210 gal with a wet/dry and overflows with biobale. I threw two medium sized shrimp in there about 4.5 weeks ago. A day later I put in some bottled bacteria. The ammonia peaked at around 0.6mg/L after a week and then dropped to 0. My nitrites held steady at >3.0mg/L (that's as high as my test kit would read) for about 3.5 weeks. I was worried about the nitrites not dropping, so I threw some topsmelt larvae in the tank (I work in a marine bio lab), cause I thought it might introduce some new bacteria to help with the nitrites. Two days later my nitrites started dropping and nitrates started to rise. The cycle looks like it is almost complete. IMO, after having gone through this, be patient, it might take a while. I agree, the LR may cause another spike in ammonia.

Allright, well I will start out the shrimp/prawn tomorrow and let it just run from now until over spring break. So that will give a good three weeks. And when/if I get some LR I will make sure that it is very very well cured in a separate tub before adding. I am a very patient person but going through another cycle may just put me over the edge :LOL: . But anyways will there be any problem if I just leave the shrimp in there for 10 days starting a week from friday? And also if the water just sits there after the cycling is complete and nothing is added for a week or two (I really don't think this will be the case) will the water "loose its cycle" or once its done will it be good?

Also about the skimmer what do you think will make it cycle the fastest. Should I leave it off for the first week and then turn it on for over spring break?

Thanks

IMO, it is a waste to cycle with an empty tank, you'll only be building up bacteria on the and aquaclear...only to cycle again when you add lr. Why not add some lr first? I cycled in 12 days with cured lfs lr in the tank, if you want a 30-40 day cycle then possibly more if you get aquacultered lr it is your perogative, but just letting you know that starting things now (empty) is not going to make things happen faster. FWIW, I did use cycle and it may help move things along, but would be better still if you had real ls or cured lr from the start. Otherwise, be prepared for a long, long journey. Have fun

Thanks.

Money.

That is the issue that is holding us back as far as LR is concerned. This is a school project and so it is the money that is holding us back. I am going to call around and see what the LFS's can do for us. There is on place here that is offering us 7 buck a pound but I am going to see if he can give us a discount down to like 3 or 4 bucks a pound. That is Canadian dollars.

Size wise how much is 10 lbs of rock. Just the rough dimensions so that I can see what I am working with. I am still hoping that I can find some free from a teardown in the area. A guiltless plug: All you in the Calgary area please keep and eye and an ear out for free live rock. Much appreciated!

Thanks

Also, a money saving idea would be to get 10lb lr then 30lb base rock, i get br for $1.19lb at my lfs, you can get it at various online lr dealers or www.hirocks.com for around the same price. It is just a dry rock that will not cause a spike or cycle in your tank (because there's no die-off), you put it under your lr and over the weeks and months it becomes lr as it populates with good bacteria. Another advantage of br is you don't have to worry about getting a mantis or other undesirables. You should be able to accomplish this for less than $100, (around $60 for cured lr + $35 for br. Then let the tank cycle, and forget about a biowheel as you have the gac filter already. I would say use a skimmer after your levels drop to 0.

Allright, well I will see what we can do. I am in Canada so shipping terrible, no matter where you are shipping from. Godness I hate money, pain in the but to be on such a tight budget. How much filtrations would I need if I dropped in say 15 lbs of LR. Is what I have enough to keep a couple of clowns alive, as well as snails and shrimp maybe?

crumbs, EVERY lfs I have seen has alot of crumbs in the curing tanks, you might plug them to but a good peice and maybe the let you scoop up the crumbs for a lot cheeper.

imo i would just get 2-3 pounds of live rock and cycle it that way...that's what i did to my tank. i waited a month and a half to put anything in the tank to be on the safe side cause i didn't buya testing kit(i still haven't bought one). the only thing i go by is my hydrometer. but that's just me. i dont have a lot of money to invest in my tank but i keep an eye out for stranger behavior and stuff. my fish seem to be happy and that is what really matters to me

Back
Top Bottom