yellow clown goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vsnsofadrgn

Aquarium Advice Addict
well i added a yellow clown goby yesterday. i dont think hes doing so well. he just sits at the top of the tank, not moving. i think the clowns picked on him a little bit, but now they leave him alone. when i did my water change, he went down to the lr and wont move. will he be ok?? is he just not used to his new home??

Sometimes if not properly acclimated they go into a little bit of shock or a lot of shock depending on how proper you did it. Hopefully he`ll be OK.

i temp acclimated for about an hour, then added like a half cup or cup of my tank water and let him sit in that for half hour to an hour. i netted him and put him in.....

Temp acclimate for 15-20 minutes. Then add 1/2 cup of water every 15 minutes until the water volume in bag has doubled. Then remove half the water and repeat adding 1/2 cup until double again. Net the fish and throw the water away. Of corse drip acclimation is better but this method should be fine for fish.

What is the fish doing now? Is it eating? Just keep water parameters as perfect as possible and if it is eating feed it vitamin enriched foods. In short minimize stress.

he is still in the same spot that he was, its a feeding day, so i will feed and see what he does. this morning i thought he had died so i put my finger in there and he swam away. its taking everything in me not to disturb him so i dont stress him more, but sometimes i cant tell if hes alive, he doesnt move. i also did a water change today, so that might have freaked him out, too. poor little guy....

Clown gobies don't swim around alot BTW.
They ussualy like to post on rock or on shrooms. So, if he's sitting still for long periods of time that's normal.

This fish has a tendency to "pirtch" on LR or coral. The behavior you are explaining sounds normal. This is good addition but is rather shy. It should not be kept with aggressive tank mates and can be beaten out for food. Keep an out and make sure it has the opportunity to eat n the next couple of days.

hes starting to swim around, i saw him peak his head out from behind the lr.... :D he turned right back around, but its a start.

yes lando i believe you are right. hes been out all day, but he "pirches" on the back of the tank glass. the clowns dont bother him anymore, i think they were just checking him out. im going to go back to feeding ever other day instead of every 2 for awhile to make sure he gets something to eat.......

Ya, clown gobies spend much of their time stuck to the glass near the top, bottom, or middle of the tank as well as perched on some rock or corals.

he is most likely eating when you are not watching. pods and other foods in the tank. mine took a little while to get to eat. i would feed the rest of the tank and then turn off the pumps and target feed him by dropping food right on top of where he was sitting. also keep in mind they are very small fish and need small food. i used crumbled formula 2 flake. drop the food over him and walk away.

good luck
steve r

He'll be alright soon IMO. Mine goes after anything that gets put in the water. Went after the magnet the other day before he realized it wasn't food. Sometime, I'll submerge flake with my fingers for an instant to get it wet and make it sink. He'll nibble on my hand if I don't back it out fast enuf.

I've had one for a few years and they like to perch on rocks and corals and he hovers a lot. Has it eaten yet? Make sure the food is small enough for him to eat, mine is real small and he sometimes has trouble eating the large mysis shrimps. They also may have problems competing for food with any larger fish so make sure it gets his share of the food.
With a new fish try and feed a little every day until you know its getting enough food to eat and then adjust it to your feeding schedule. Who knows when it ate last??

Back
Top Bottom