Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2017, 11:04 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a clown goby. It unfortunately passed. It was right after the cycle, so a mix of probably sickly from store (which it looked) and too soon after cycle for his weak immune system to kick in. Either way he was not a very active fish and kind of hid 95% of the time.

I cant do a designer clown because 1) they are super expensive 2) I have regular clowns so I know they will NOT get along.

Im not looking for an open swimmer in the way of a tang but at least the clowns. The goby's just kind of plop there. I have a warpaint goby and while hes a cool fish he just hides until I feed then pops out and in really quick. A watchman goby just plasters itself to the side of the tank most of the time.

I wont go bigger. Im still trying to debate on how I will successfully break down my 55 planted.

Im just a bit discouraged. I think I listened to a couple friends instead of doing my own research first and got myself into something Im just not super into. I really feel on the fish end of things, freshwater has a more versatile selection. Marine has corals and inverts beat hands down but its almost impossible to find most of the really cool ones and they are crazy expensive.

Most of the smaller fish in marine are pretty much no fancier than an african cichilid, some even blander.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yellow Fish recommendation?

Why not just switch back to fw then? It looks to me like you find fw fish more attractive and manageable.

I️ mean personally id take any smaller marine fishes personality and color (even my banggai cardinal) over any fw fish but thatís my opinion! :p. After all my wife does say our planted tank is more relaxing than the reef tanks but she loves the chaoticness of the reefs!

Iíd take a moment and try to realize if you really want a reef tank? As a person who has only had smaller marine tanks I️ understand how hard it is not to want tangs or large angels or such but it really isnít fair to those fish to put them in small tanks. You gotta find the beauty in the little reef fishes personalities!

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #13
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Sadly, a reason either many small tanks fail or why many of us just keep upgrading. Just 5 years ago I started with a 36 bow front. Now here I am over 100 gallons because tangs were the goal. Smaller salt systems are limiting for fish and not for everyone. Those that get into them love them, but it just isnít everyoneís cup of tea.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I understand guys, trust me I never want to limit a fish (or any animal) which is why I anticipated trading the tang when he got too large. The reason I even set up my 55 was for one stupid Angel we had that I just didnt want to trade in. Now I have to rehome a few angels, one discuss and a juvi black ghost knife (that I LOVE). the smaller guys in that Tank Ill keep.

As for a small marine. I wanted to build a small seahorse mini reef for upstairs so that might have been my better option to venture into marine. I just wish I didnt buy any equipment, even though I usually go cheap first then upgrade.

My girl likes the fresh planted better as well. to be honest she kind of hates the reef setup. Id like to redo everything to 20 longs since my 29 equipment will work with them and go from there.

My 55 light Ill sell cheap (since I didnt really pay much) and the tank itself I could just give away as I bought it at one of those $ per gallon sales. Me and a friend talked about building a frag tank so maybe thats an experiment for it.

Its not even the thought of tangs but it just seems almost every cooler fish for marine is just a 50 gallon minimum. I mean we have clowns but, I mean, EVERYONE has a clown and I wont find justification in spending $70+ on a fish let alone a clown fish. Regardless of its species, its still a "clown fish".

Maybe Ill try the watchman, but then thats ANOTHER fish Ill have to rehome if I decide to swap back.

I mean there are so many cool inverts that could brighten the tank up but you can only find them online and then you are paying more for shipping than the stupid animal. Ive tried to get a couple buddies to go in with me for the free liveaquaria shipping but they are always broke.

Id love to find some people locally off the forums who might be into a bulk liveaquaria buy.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yellow Fish recommendation?

Does the fish have to be yellow??? Is that a breaking point? You could do a royal gramma. Not open water but once settled in mine used to be out 90% of the time. Neat personalities as well, as mine used to try and bully my potters angel and clowns if they got to close to his rock.

I️ know the invert struggle! Iíve been looking for sexy shrimp to add to my 3 I️ already have for about 6 months locally and no one ever has them!

Iíve ordered shrimp and corals from uniquecroals.com and shipping is only $20 rather than $40-50. Healthy stock and frags too
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Does the fish have to be yellow??? Is that a breaking point? You could do a royal gramma. Not open water but once settled in mine used to be out 90% of the time. Neat personalities as well, as mine used to try and bully my potters angel and clowns if they got to close to his rock.

I️ know the invert struggle! Iíve been looking for sexy shrimp to add to my 3 I️ already have for about 6 months locally and no one ever has them!

Iíve ordered shrimp and corals from uniquecroals.com and shipping is only $20 rather than $40-50. Healthy stock and frags too
Yellow just REALLY pops. I like the gramma (almost bought one a while ago) but it basically looks just like my orchid dotty. I try not to keep similar fish if they may fight plus its just more bioload for essentially the same thing. I might just go that route for now.

Tags
fish, yellow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com