Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yellow Fish recommendation?

MY tang sadly passed. Wasnt old nor did he look sick. Im honestly not sure what happened. Water seems fine but again Im using my freshwater kits. I think my attempt at algae fix and a blackout messed a few things up with my tank. Anyway. Im looking to replace him eventually and would like something yellow and reef safe

I like the yellow dwarf angel but keep reading they are not very safe with soft corals.

Id like something that doesnt get huge but is a swimmer. Its kind of a centerpiece so a goby or blenny just wouldnt work since they really just sit there.

Its a 29 gallon, anyone have any thought?

Old 11-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yellow Fish recommendation?

Tang and dwarf angels simply aren’t met for such small tanks. These should be ruled out right away.
If this was me and there wasn’t anything else in the tank I’d put in a frogfish. Really neat, many colors.
EDIT: I was struggling to think of the name, but clown goby would work in smaller systems and provide the color as well.
I would suggest some large water changes with ro/di water to get the nutrients under control. Having a tang in there wouldn’t have helped matters along with the algae indicating the nutrient issue. I’d want to get that under control before attempting another fish.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Tang and dwarf angels simply aren’t met for such small tanks. These should be ruled out right away.
If this was me and there wasn’t anything else in the tank I’d put in a frogfish. Really neat, many colors.
EDIT: I was struggling to think of the name, but clown goby would work in smaller systems and provide the color as well.
I would suggest some large water changes with ro/di water to get the nutrients under control. Having a tang in there wouldn’t have helped matters along with the algae indicating the nutrient issue. I’d want to get that under control before attempting another fish.
Ive been battling this so called "nutrient issue" forever it seems but my nitrates are always low. I run a good skimmer (tunze 9004), plus a DIY phos reactor and even started using purigen in there with my phos ban. The Tang was VERY juvenile (small) and I already expected to swap him when he got to large.
I had a clown goby but again they just kind of sit there. The tang was actually my other halfs fav fish because of its bright yellow coloring and high energy. He/she used to love to swim in the current against my powerhead.
I kind of think the process of me removing rocks, scrubbing and putting them back in may have stressed it a little to much.

I do weekly water changes with RODI at about 5 gallons. Thats a 20% WC as the amount of rock/sand in my tank is pretty substantial. I just cant see that I have had a real nutrient issue this long with the amount of water changes plus equipment Im using. I know I do not overfeed by any means, it just seems very odd. Honestly Im getting very disenchanted with marine anyway. Wishing I just kept my planted fresh there, so does she actually. Most of the livestock you can put into a 29 is a bit meh (at least no better than anything fresh) and its just a LOT of aggravation. The inverts are much cooler but the corals I could honestly take or leave. I have to decide what to actually do with it all.

a frogfish is actually even to hideous for me and will more than likely eat most of my shrimp

Im thinking maybe a canary wrasse might be decent event though they say 50 gallons minimum but I worry it will just fight with my purple dotty
Old 11-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

How about a yellow Coris wrasse? They are pretty.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not too many good yellow colored free swimming "centerpiece" fish for a 29 gal tank. The wrasses suggested won't stay yellow so you need to keep that in mind and because they will grow, a 29 is not the best tank for even the juvies if that is going to be their only tank while in your possession.
I would suggest, if you are doing soft corals, get a yellow colored one of those to be your centerpiece ( stick it right in the middle of the tank ) and then go with other yellow colored fish that you will see off and on ( ie clown goby, Canary blenny, yellow watchman's goby, etc). There's just not a lot of swimming space in a 29 gal tank to get any fish that is an open water swimmer.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you looked into designer clowns? They have some pretty sharp looking varieties out there. Think it was "storm" I recently saw.. oooo lah lah. Or get a bigger tank!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

could do a small group of 4 of these guys

like said above your limited because of tank size
Old 11-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
could do a small group of 4 of these guys

like said above your limited because of tank size
The suspense is killing me... perhaps a name with the pretty picture weed??
Old 11-20-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Purple line pseudochromis (dottyback)
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The Yellow Clown Goby is fun and comes to the side of the tank as a puppy dog does to get fed. Not a big fish but sooo cute and fun in a smaller tank.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, yellow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com