Yellow head moray ate all my fish :( help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark The Kidd

Aquarium Advice Regular
I also have a 12inch snowflake eel but never had a problem with him until I added my yellow head. Bought him when he was small about 6inch long have had him for almost 4months but ever since I added my yellow head my maroon clown fish 3 inch long disappeared then after my panther grouper 3 inch long then my lunar wrasse 5inch long. I witness my yellow head attack and eat my lunar wrasse so I know it's him will performing a water change. Today while feeding both eels I notice that my yellow head looked longer almost looked bigger than my snowflake??? Hardly can tell how long he is since he's always hiding. Looks like he's out growing my snowflake eel. Question is what fish won't my yellow head be able to eat???? Btw my yellow head was my last fish I put in my tank.

2 aggressive fish in that tank... cant think of anything you could put with them... crazy small tank for a grouper too... that type of fish would probably work but you cant get one big enough to not be eaten in that size tank.

i wouldn't put anything in until you upgrade personally especially as the snowflake will eat any crustaceans due to type of eel and as yellow head is a fish eating will probably look at all fish as food. I would look at maybe puffer or lion when you upgrade though

i wouldn't put anything in until you upgrade personally especially as the snowflake will eat any crustaceans due to type of eel and as yellow head is a fish eating will probably look at all fish as food. I would look at maybe puffer or lion when you upgrade though

I'm not going to put anymore fish until I upgrade to a bigger tank. So puffers and lions seem like the best? Any other predator fish?

Not just predatory, I've never kept them but from what I understand fish eating eels will have a pop at any fish that isn't too big to take on the reason I say puffer or lion is they have some sort of defence compared to other fish

You will need very aggressive fish and they have to be good size

That's what I can think of but I've also read that the yellow head moray have ate lion fishes that were a good size?!? Is this true? Can't see that happening. I would hate to give him away since I'm very attach to both eels their my favorite fish. But a tank doesnt look as great with out fish actually swimming.

The yellow head will grow to 3ft. I don't see any fish being able to survive with him long term

I probably wouldn't since this eel is proven to be a fish killer and will grow to 3 feet. He doesn't seem to worry about swallowing the fish whole just killing it and eating it. I think any fish you put in there will be food soon.

Am I the only one thinking why would you put a highly predatory fish with peaceful tankmates

What ever you put in there will be a risk and possibly an expensive meal

So how do other people do it? I see videos on YouTube with ppl who house their predator fish with even the green moray eel?!? Way huger eel than my yellow head?! Or is mine just more aggressive?

It ate a panther grouper which would be a good tank mate but you can t put one even in your planned 90 gal upgrade

It ate a panther grouper which would be a good tank mate but you can t put one even in your planned 90 gal upgrade

Well it's my fault for getting the panther grouper small. But had no choice because i knew my tank was rdy for a big one. I couldn't imagine my yellow head being able to swallow him but guess I was wrong I use to see my grouper stand up to him. Don't know what to do now :/

imo you clearly want more fish so take him back to the lfs and get some more fish for your tank but read up on what your getting first so your not putting fish that will grow too big for your tank in there and so that you are not going to have issues with the stock in there getting along just my opinion though

Back
Top Bottom