Yellow Stingray Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Micco28

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking to start up my own Yellow Stingray tank and I have a few questions:

1) What size tank would be needed for a stingray that gets to be about 14" in diameter and 20" long?

2) Could a plastic poly stock tank work for a stingray?

3) Would a Cascade 1500 work for this type of setup if the tank size is 200 gal?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 127
Well you're gonna want a wide tank for it. Probably 6 feet long by at least 3 feet wide. Minimal live rock. Stingrays need a lot of filtration so id run a sump with most of the rock down there and a very large protein skimmer.

Thank you both. I understand the difficulty of keeping this species and that is why I'm asking for help. The tanks I'm looking at are 5'-9' in diameter and hold 320 gal+. Could anyone recommend a sump for a tank of this size then?

Yeah, I'd think the 500 or more also

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well you're gonna want a wide tank for it. Probably 6 feet long by at least 3 feet wide. Minimal live rock. Stingrays need a lot of filtration so id run a sump with most of the rock down there and a very large protein skimmer.

+1 on bribo !!!! Not a beginner fish at all !!! IMO/E, you will need at least 300+ gallons and then some. As well, your tank consideration should be round verse square or rectangular, IMHO.

I'm now thinking using a 625 gal plastic poly stock tank that is 8' in diameter and is 2' deep. Would an ASM G5 with mesh recirculation and gate valve work to filter this tank? And if it would could I use Nature's ocean bio-active sand and Nutri Seawater?

Nutri sea water is $20 for a 4 gallon jug. I wouldn't spend that much money on it.

Nutri sea water is $20 for a 4 gallon jug. I wouldn't spend that much money on it.

What would you recommend as a alternative? I like nutri sea water because of it's properties but I'm not against other options.

What would you recommend as a alternative? I like nutri sea water because of it's properties but I'm not against other options.

What properties? Ro/di and a quality salt is way cheaper and IMHO safer, you know exactly how pure the water is

I was referring to the nitrifying bacteria in those products.

The nitrifying bacteria is not in the water. It resides on surfaces like tank surfaces and live rock.

Back
Top Bottom