Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2003, 03:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yellow Tang and Cleaner Shrimp

Well, I just took out a Yellow damsel that I caught red handed biting one of the cleaner shrimp's antenna off. I was out raged. But all of the shrimp's antennas are small and I rarely see him. He hides in a cave, in which the yellow tang usually hides in sometimes too. One thing that worries me is that the I saw the yellow tang chasing the shrimp around. As I saw the shrimp jump away very fast. The Yellow tang was just added 2 days ago and for a day it would run from one side of the tank to the other, now it's fine, but I'm getting worried about my cleaner shrimp. Both are expensive and I don't want to lose either. What should I do? Is the tang not compatible with the shrimp. The tang is pretty much well fed, it seems to have acquired a diet of brown algae and broccoli. help?

PS: GREAT SITE!!!

Old 08-10-2003, 03:20 AM   #2

PS: My tank is a 50 gallon. With about 10 lbs of live rock, I know it's not enough. The Ph is 8.2 Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates are all 0
It's been running for 2 months, I have a bit of brown algae, which I've heard is normal...I guess.
Erm, I basically have an emperor 400 and a magnum 350 pro doing the filtering, a prizm skimmer and a powerhead for circulation.

Old 08-10-2003, 03:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to xxmoorishmanxx
they should be compatabile, most likly the tang is just nervouse havung just been introduced, and the cleaner shrimp may be trying to do its job and clean the tang. this might freak out the tang since he was introduced recently or if the shrimp is big and the tang is small. ive noticed to on my shrimp that if it hasn't molted in a while its antenna get small, but as soon as it molts hes back to his full glory. if you keep good calc and iodine levels he should molt and regrow every thing well.
JC
Old 08-10-2003, 03:38 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I will sound like the mean guy here...and I dont mean to...so please take this the way it is intended. A two month old tank, in saltwater years, is by no means "stable" yet....I would consider your tank too small for any tang. Your damsel, I am assuming, was a cycling fish, they are mean as heck.....you need to decide on what you want to keep from here on out, and plan around it. I would hope you would get more rock and lose the damsel, as a start
Old 08-10-2003, 12:19 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
What are the dimentions of the tank?

Height X Lenght X Width

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 01:10 PM   #6

I will go measure the tank in a minute. But there are no more damsels left in the tank. I had 3 damsels for cycling. After the cycling ended, I decided to keep them since they weren't being aggressive and the tank was rather huge for them. Right now I only have 4 fish: 2 Clown fish, 1 tang and one royal gramma. And ofcourse the shrimp. My mom tells me she saw the shrimp last nite, under a cave. But I have yet to confirm that. I will measure the tank in a bit.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:12 PM   #7

14x19x13. It's a Bow front.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:03 PM   #8
steve-s

14" tank is rather small for a tang of any size. I would strongly urge you to return it. The minimum recommended size tank for a tang is 48" as they require much more swimming/grazing area and are known for "darting" when startled.

The tang was most likely chasing after the cleaner for some TLC. They tend to get rather frustrated when they want a good cleaning wether they need it or not. Cleaner shrimp will most often ignore fish that do not have anything to offer in the way of parasites or other tidbits and can often stop doing their "duty" altogether once they get a steady amount of food from you.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-10-2003, 04:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

i agree with morish man, and steve, but it could be that the tang wants to be cleaned and the cleaner shrimp isn't that eager. or that the tang doesn't want to get cleaned and the shrimp wants to clean it. also the tank is a bit small.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm, you say you tank is 50 gallons, but the dimensions only hold 14 gallons of water, therefore, that tang needs to be yanked out pronto!

Tags
clean, cleaner, cleaner shrimp, rim, shrimp, tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com