Yellow Tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tentative answer: Yes

Mostly it will depend on what you already have in the tank, if the tang is going to cause the tank to be overstocked, then it would be a problem.

It will also depend on if you have other tangs that are similar in shape or color. They fill fight if they are. We added a yellow tang to a tank that had a powder blue, naso and hippo tang and he got along just fine. They will go at each other for the first day, but once the lights go off they sleep off their hostility and are friends the next day.

Or they'll kill each other, but hopefully that won't happen.

-Dan

Well there are only five fish in the tank right now I doubt that it would overstock adding the tang, and he would be the only tang in the tank.

I have 1 goldstripe maroon clown, 1 bangaii cardinal, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 blue fiji devil damsel, 1 cherub angel. All very peacfull fish.

IMO, you don't have much of a bioload with those fish, and other than the Blenny, you really don't have any competing grazers. IMO, I think you could add the Tang - but you would definitely be maxed out.

I would watch for aggression - mainly from the Maroon & the Damsel.

Good luck!

Thanks for your input. I doubt my maroon and damsel would show agression I have had them for quite some time and the used to live together with two seahorses I used to have. I guess I am going to get me a new family member this weekend.

As a matter of fact I do. But this is only in case of a serious sickness. I don't like to place under anymore undo stress. I mean think about it they come from the ocean to the holding tanks bagged and shipped to the wholesaler and then to the LFS. When I get new fish in I do a slow acclimation of 45-60minutes and feed all food soaked in garlic xtreme and double dose on coral vital.

I mean think about it they come from the ocean to the holding tanks bagged and shipped to the wholesaler and then to the LFS.

I do think about it, they have been under such tremendous stress that they deserve the ability to settle into captive life in a tank, unoccupied by other fish that see them as a threat, competition, or jujst another fish to put in the proper pecking order. The trauma may already have been so great that the fish will succumb to a parasitic infestation or desease. The tank the fish came from, could have had several fish in it die from parasitic infestation...the day before you picked yours up...yours may not show signs of infestation....but it will eventually. Good luck ;)

Scuba Reef said:
I don't like to place under anymore undo stress. I mean think about it they come from the ocean to the holding tanks bagged and shipped to the wholesaler and then to the LFS.

All the more reason to QT the fish. Under stressful conditions, fish are more inclined to ailments. Once infested, the new fish can easily pass it to the aquarium and be there for up to a week or slightly longer without you even knowing anout it.

Existing tank members are often stressed by new arrivals and possible aggression and can become infected if health declines at all during this time.

Please reconsider you options.... :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom