Yellow Tangs feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joemacros

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I recently got two yellow Tangs and i've seen them eating the algae in the tank, but they don't see to go for the pellet food. I'm worried that they'll get undernourished. Is there anything else that I should be feeding them like normal bits of lettuce or something?
I also provide the fishes with plankton/spirulina tablets regularly which the other fish go for but again the yellow Tang seems indifferent to it. (unless they're picking invisible plankton from the water which I don't see)
Any advice?

Thanks.

Joemacros :D

Feed your tangs seaweed. Mine love it. Then again, he likes meaty foods too. I've seen him eating left over shrimp that my eel didnt want. :?

You can try lettuce or spniach for them. But be sure to boil it for a couple of minutes first, as this will soften them up and will be easier for them to digest. The prepackaged seaweed works good. You can also try frozen misus shrimp with a garlic additive. (your own or store purchased will work) Mix misus and garlic then add to tank. I've gotten newly shipped copperbands that wouldn't eat anything to take to that.

lettuce has almost no nutritional value, It is best to keep to seaweed. Alot of people use Nori.

no actually, you can do more harm than good, if they think they are eating, and
do not "feel" hungry, they will continue to not eat what you need them to.

I will agree with the "say no to lettuce" campaign. It holds no nutritional value, and, Tangs will eat flake food if they are hungry enough. Tangs are very susceptable to malnutriton so, it is good to feed them what they need, Nori, Seaweed Selects, Algae Flakes, etc...Say no to Romaine!

They also need Vitamin C for good health, and it is available in most of the Seaweed food...

Not to mention, what kind of pesticides are on the Lettuce? I don't think you will find any in Nori...just keep that in mind.

Definatly keep away from the lettuce. You can get seaweed salad from any petstore petland, petco, megapets, etc.

Back
Top Bottom