Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-12-2003, 08:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yellowtail Damsel in 12 Gallon - Is anything compatible?

Last Christmas, I recieved a 12 gallon Eclipse from my In-laws. After cycling it with live rock, I put in 2 Clownfish at the same time (Not the smartest idea I know!) Well, within a week my fish were dead and my spirits were down. This past Saturday (August 9 - 6 months later!), I went to a great store I just found out about (Slice of nature in Vandalia, IL) and got setup with a yellowtail damsel. (Please note my tank has been running since Christmas, and I have been making water changes.) The damsel is flourishing in my tank, and I am getting grand ideas again. The question I have is can I put a Royal Gramma in several weeks after I have already introduced the damsel. or will this result in too much stress for my fish.

Also, I am wanting to put in a brittle star, coral banded shrimp, and a couple snails. Is there any time I should put these in?

Thanks for your help!

12 Gallon Eclipse
13 Watt Factory Light
75 Watt Ebo Jager Heater
Mini Jet 606 Powerhead
12 Pounds Live Rock
1" Aragamax Sugar Sized Substrate
1.025 Specific Gravity
75 degrees

lebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 09:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Zack
Hello and weclome to aquariumadvice.com,

As for the fish, do you want to keep the yellow tail, there can be much aggression towards other fish, however i noticed that my yellow tails are the least likely to fight with other fish.

As for he snails i believe that is a good idea to help control algae and other build ups.

Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:47 PM   #3
The gramma tends to be a rather active fish and may not do well in such a small environment. Quite honestly two active fish in a smaller tank could end up being a problem. If anything I would suggest one of the smaller peaceful >>gobies<< or >>blennies<<. There are many that grow to less than 2" as adults and could be a good addition. I would still urge caution mixing any other fish with a damsel in a confined space. You may opt for a complete "fish" exchange and replan your inhabitants.

I find inverts can be the best addition of all to smaller tank environments. They add very little to the bio load and give the tank some extra "life" that would otherwise be missed with the lack of available fish space. If you do decide on a brittle star, make sure it is the black species. They stay very small and will not be as predatory as many other stars can be. Just remember to target feed it a few times a month with some krill, silversides or other meaty foods.

Good luck!

12 gallon, 2 gallon, compatible, damsel, yellowtail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com