Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Red face Yelow Tang in 28 Gal Nano

Hi everyone. I'm new to Aquarium Advice.com, and this is my first thread. I have a 28 Gal Nano Tank with an LED hood. My inhabitants are salt water fish, soft corals and inverts. I hae a clown fish, royal gamma basslet and recently added a small yellow tang. I realized recently that the yellow tang needs a minimum 75 Gal tank. It is a beautiful addition and doing quite well. I'd hate to give it up. What is the problem with the tang in a smaller tank ? I know that they grow to about 6 ", but how fast ? Can it survive in my tank if I take certain measures to insure survivability ? Should I emove it ? Please advise. Ive had it for about two weeks.

pondguy427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
They usually get stressed out and die in smaller tanks, they grow pretty quick, if I were you I would remove him, it's not fair on the fish...

TomStav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
to AA!

The problem with keeping tangs in such a small tank is that they outgrow it really fast, no tang could ever fit in a 29 gallon tank. The get big, around 10-12 inches long, and are very active and need a lot of room. If you aren't going to upgrade, that's not fair to the fish, so I would suggest giving it back to the store.
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Welcome to the forum!!

If it were me i would remove it sooner rather than later. The yellow really needs a 6 foot tank, even a 75g is pushing it in my opinion.

Tangs are very prone to stress related illness and one major source of stress on them is confined quarters. they really need their room to zoom. I have 3 tangs in my 6 foot 125g tank and trust me, they do zoom quite a bit.
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't know alot about sw or tangs but I do know is they are very active fish and for any active fish they need lots of space to exercise. Just return him or upgrade quick.
Sharkbait54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
You aren't only opening the tang up to stress related diseases but also your clown fish and your gramma. If the tang gets ich there is a good chance the other fish will get it as well.

joy13 is offline   Reply With Quote

nano, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com