Yes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partypalooza5

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm more than happy. I did so well in school my parents are considering letting me get a SW tank!

I want to start out really simple. Heres my plan:

29G tank with a 10G sump
some LR and either sand or crushed coral
ocellaris clown (tank bred)
A few snails/hermit crabs
A PH or 2
maybe a cleaner shrimp?

Will a 29G tank be able to house all that stuff?

I agree with the sand. Get some dry aragonite sand and rinse it really well. 29 will be OK but if you can get bigger then do it. More added water volume is a good thing.

I wanted to get bigger than a 29G (I already have one xD) But we don't have enough room in the house for a bigger tank.

I think I've done quite a bit of research (since this time last year) and my FW tanks are doing great.
The only thing that I'm worried about is keeping the salinity perfect and also the cost of everything. A skimmer is like 150 bucks at least. Plus if one fish dies its a big loss (50 bucks a fish?!? :O) But I think I'm up to the challenge.

A tank bred ocellaris shouldn't be more than 20 dollars, and a skimmer isn't a necessity but is very nice. You could skip the skimmer if absolutely necessary but you would have to do religious water changes. Keeping salinity right isn't that hard either, just add the proper amount of salt to water volume and test. Just make sure you don't add too much, you can always add but not take it out. Then just top off with fresh water every day and bam, perfect salinity. Good luck in your new adventure we are all here to help, and keep up the good grades.

I'm more than happy. I did so well in school my parents are considering letting me get a SW tank!

I want to start out really simple. Heres my plan:

29G tank with a 10G sump
some LR and either sand or crushed coral
ocellaris clown (tank bred)
A few snails/hermit crabs
A PH or 2
maybe a cleaner shrimp?

Will a 29G tank be able to house all that stuff?
Congrats on the grades and good luck with your gift. Keep up the good work.

Agreed with the skimmer on a smaller tank and PWCs. I don't run a skimmer either....you could save up for lights instead....

Ok so I think I'll skip the skimmer for now.

But now I have another question:
This may be outta the question, but could i get maybe an anemone or two aswell? If so, do they require special lighting? (MH are for corals I know but I'm not sure about anemones.)

Thanks for all your help. I picked a good forum to join! :)

29 gal tank is a good size it was my starter tank, anemones need a well matured tank about ten months old normally to a year i have a coralife light on my 55 gal and my anemone is doing great but you have to be careful about which anemone you get some are harder than others and some you have to feed by hand which can be kinda tricky IMO. i stared off to early getting anenomes with a sebae anenome which lasted a few weeks then slowly shrank into nothing i waited a few more months and got a condy and he is thriving and doing well. but the corallife has worked for me but its not the most chosen one out there alot of people will tell you to go with the t5 i would have if i had the money

Actually, jellyfish are part of the phylum of [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]cnidaria which are corals but they are free swimming.....
[/FONT]

Your clowns will be fine without an anemone, as of right now I only have 2 clowns and a cleaner shrimp in my tank with a CUC, but no anemone. Hopefully adding a goby and a tang this week after proper QT!

Back
Top Bottom