Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-27-2004, 05:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
yes...ANOTHER newbie about to take saltwater plunge

I've decided to take the plunge into a SW aquarium and have some questions.

My plans are to start with a 80-100 gal aquarium with LR and LS.
But, Ive read on multiple sites that a rookie aquarist shouldnt do LR until they are more comfortable with a SW setup. From what Ive read here it is suggested that you nurture the cycling along with LR, and LS. Does that apply to experienced sw tank owners, or everyone?

Also, as school is about to start, and I will no longer be working full time, I will be limited on funds. What are the essentials for a SW aquarium that must be in place before you can stock it?

I've seen several complete, ready to go used systems in newspapers, is buying used sw equipment a bad thing? I dont want to say Im being lazy, but in a way I am. I unfortuantely wont have the time/money to setup a DYI sump, filtering system etc, so at this point its the best choice for me.

Any information you could provide this rookie would be greatly appreciated.

also, if anyone in so-cal, central cal, or lower nor cal has any used equipment for sale, let me know

jmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
used equipment is a great way to save some cash. Are you new to all aquariums, or just sw? I think the reason some people steer newbies away from lr is it take some practice to balance the levels in an aquarium. If you have been doing fresh water and now want a sw the conversion is not as difficult. The key is stability. Even if you are new, i would still recomend some lr.

A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
i think almost everyone here will probably recommend that u cycle your tank with live rock and u have enough it is the best source of biofiltration

used equipment is ok if u make sure the tank has no leaks before u buy it and make sure everything else opperates correctly

im not sure what your best bet on mechanical filtration would be on a tank that big (mine is only 30gal)
30gal / 2: maxijet 600s / 150w heater / CPR Bak Pak2 (maxijet 1200)/FOWLR

30lbs base rock
6lbs Brazilian LR
35lbs sand (20lbs of lfs ls i think it cycled my tank faster)

3 blueleg hermits
4 turbo snails
royal gramma
gold stripped maroon clown
crage34 is offline   Reply With Quote

salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com