Yet again another water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefobsessed

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a blue power tang who gets so stressed when ever I put my hands in the tank. Hes fat, eating, and active but I bought a few corals and moved some rock etc. and now he has his 3rd case of ich. Would it be less stressful to do the water change after he has been to bed??

Correction....... I thought my blue tang was called a powder blue tang but.. I just read the article on them & mine looks nothing like that picture. I have Dori from finding Nemo. What are they called?? My above question still applies regardless.....sorry :oops: :oops: :oops:

Believe that's a Hippo tang. They are usually very hardy fish. You could try doing the water change after the lights go out. What are your water parameters? Is it possible that something is stressing the tang a little? I have one in a 180 at an eyecare center who endures the water changes, the kids slapping the tank, and the infrequent feedings of what he likes to eat with no problem. BTW, what are you feeding yours?

Your right I just looked up a hippo and thats him.... My ammonia went up a little 0.50 after I nuked 20 apistia. I have been doing a water change every day for four days know and it is getting back in line. When I say I moved some rock.. well it was 30 mins of me redoing the entire structure of the reef. :lol: He eats like crazy and it seems to be the only time he gets a little aggressive. He will eat blood worms but prefers brine... Brine with garlic extreme is what hes been getting lately.. Ive tried greens but he does not seem to be at all interested in them either fresh or processed..

Remember that the tangs are herbivores. They absolutely need algae. I just acquired a Naso and have been feeding him Nori (seems to be nuts about it)- which is available at any oriental store (they use this to make sushi). My Naso grazes on this all day. I use a feeder clip to secure it to the tank wall. There are a lot of trheads on this board about this issue, it is important that they get the correct nutrients, so you have to get him on some algae

use a small syphon in the corner that the fish wont see instead of shoving your hands in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom