Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-30-2004, 01:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yet another cycling question

Ok so I am getting 60lbs more LR today to basically start a new cycle. Put a fresh shrimp in saturday with my 30lbs of Fiji from LFS even though I knew I was adding a lot more LR today, didnt think it would hurt but did it because I was impatient. After 2 days the shrimp looked like it blew up like a balloon and had a sort of a cloudy/transparent white cacoon around it. Now it seems like it is slowly disolving and is a lot smaller than the shrimp that I put in. I have not put on the protein skimmer yet because I figured the crap in the water will help the LR cycle. I do have a regular HOB filter that came with the tank and running AC with it. The filter is disgusting and brown. I turned off the power pulled the cartride out and it seems a lot heavier and filled with gunk. I assume decaying shrimp goo. Ammonia spiked but is coming down a lot and now in the .5 range. Nitrites are coming down too from 5.0 to about 3.0 and nitrates are off the charts. I guess my question is does this sound normal? One more thing I asked this before but nobody responded. Is it recommend to add BIOSAFE or anything like that to you tank even though I used RO/DI water? TIA

75 Gal Bowfront (3 months old)
30lbs Fiji 30lbs Keys 30lbs Gulf
90lbs Caribsea Aragonite seeded with 10lbs of live sand from LFS
Remora Aqua C Protein Skimmer
2 Percula Clowns
1 Orange Spotted Watchman Goby
1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1 Fire Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
5 Emerald crabs
10 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
10 Turbo Snails
10 Astraea Conehead Snails
Mr Crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If you was curing rock you didnt need to use the shrimp method in addition.

Just add the new rock to the tank. Dont worry about adding another shrimp. Monitor the ammonia levels and if they get to high you might want to consiter a water change so as to preserve as much life on the rock as possible.

I see no need to add biosafe.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 04:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Bio Spira and you can completely cycle your SW tank in about 48 hours.
To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com